real time web analytics
Report - - Beer Quarry (Hanson), June 2010 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Beer Quarry (Hanson), June 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Collingwood

The quiet one..
28DL Full Member
It's funny how some places are right on your doorstop, and you tend to overlook them!
Beer Quarry is the younger brother of the Beer Quarry caves, (now a tourist attraction http://www.beerquarrycaves.fsnet.co.uk/BEERQU~1/Beer_Quarry_Cx.html), which were originally first cut by the Romans, and still used up until the 1920’s.
The ‘newer’ quarry started life around 1885, producing crushed rock, agricultural Lime, and top quality stone which was easy to mine, and that can be sawn or squared in any direction due to the uniform structure of the rock.
Freshly quarried it is easy to carve but hardens on exposure to the air, turning a beautiful creamy white colour. The stone from Beer has been used in Church construction as well as halls and castles. The stone has been found in Saxon and Norman churches, and buildings like Westminster Hall and Abbey, the Tower of London, Winchester Cathedral and Exeter Cathedral.

ARC used the mine, and then Hanson, however, I cannot find how long it has been abandoned.
The site itself comprises of a very large opencast mine area, which was used for general building Limestone, and the underground section, which produced the higher quality stuff.
Buildings on the site comprised of a portacabin office/weighbridge building, two storage sheds, and a workshop.
Originally explored with Urbanity, and followed up on my own!

A few photo’s:

BeerQuarry144.jpg

The main opencast mine area, now overgrown

BeerQuarry130.jpg

Open storage sheds

BeerQuarry086.jpg

One complete with conveyor in the roof space

BeerQuarry135.jpg

Office and Weighbridge

BeerQuarry137.jpg

Entrance to the underground mine

BeerQuarry131.jpg

BeerQuarry124.jpg

BeerQuarry127.jpg

Some kind of loading chute, covered with Limestone Stalactites

BeerQuarry088.jpg

BeerQuarry089.jpg

BeerQuarry115.jpg

BeerQuarry120.jpg

Large brickwork columns have been added, to help stop the roof collapses;

BeerSidmouth031-1.jpg

BeerQuarry108.jpg

BeerSidmouth032.jpg

The workshops provided a few things of interest

BeerQuarry066.jpg

BeerQuarry063.jpg

Used shotgun pellets for keeping the wildlife at bay!

BeerQuarry071.jpg

BeerQuarry075.jpg

BeerQuarry068.jpg

BeerQuarry073.jpg

BeerQuarry074.jpg

In the middle of the main workshop was this random boat...only about a mile from the water!

BeerQuarry078.jpg

Thanks for looking,
C.

BeerQuarry142.jpg

Dave Elliott

28DL Member
28DL Member
Interesting. I visited this site as part of an archaeological field trip in about 2002. Is it completely abandoned now? I would really like to visit again to obtain some quality flint.

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
The quarry caves closed around 1920 as a new open quarry opposite was opened. This closed in 2003, so there is no quarrying activity now.

Jeepmadmike

28DL Member
28DL Member
Same it's closed it was always a friendly site, Hanson didn't consider the 35k profit from the site in a year to be viable so shut it.