real time web analytics
Report - - Bellerbys College, Wadhurst - April 2015 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bellerbys College, Wadhurst - April 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

norfolkexplorer

Quite often seen exploring further than Norfolk
28DL Full Member
Visited here after having been to a nice early morning stop and I wanted to pop in and have a look at the skylights in the main hall, I was not disappointed, they are nice but as always the place is in such a state now.. Water is pouring in everywhere, floors are completely rotten.. As we were about to leave we walked up to our exit window and right in front of us about 10ft away was a old bloke walking past, how he did not see us I do not know. We then checked out the other buildings but to be honest there was not a lot to see apart from the clock mechanism.

Cheers for the History Raisinwing

Prior to Bellerby's taking over this school in about 1995 it was known as Mayfield College. Mayfield was founded by the Duchess of Leeds as an Orphanage. In 1868 a Roman Catholic Order of Religious Brothers, known as the Xaverians Brothers, moved from Hastings to run Mayfield College as an independent boys boarding school. The school continued to flourish under the direction of the Brothers until 1977 when, due to a shortage of vocations into the Brothers, the school was taken over by the Mayfield College Educational Trust. It retained strong links with the Brothers several of whom still lived and taught at the College. However in about 1995 the Trust felt unable to continue the administration of the school and it was sold to Bellerby's of Wadhurst, they changed the name of the school to Bellerby College, Mayfield. The college closed in approx 2004

_MG_7185_zpsrgxzuqxx.jpg

_MG_7196_zpsvn5mkbbr.jpg

_MG_7199_zpsvmom6dfo.jpg

_MG_7201_zpswixaqs30.jpg

_MG_7202_zps60wxsq48.jpg

DiddleDale

28DL Member
28DL Member
Does anyone actually know who owns this building? I've seen security guards walking around it before and since you've visited some builders have come back and redone the cover on the outside of the scaffolding that got destroyed after a storm about two years back. It seems that who ever owns it doesn't care and is just letting it fall further and further into disrepair, I expect they're waiting for it to fall down so they car bulldoze the building and build houses on the land.

Are there any other pictures you have of the inside of the main building?

norfolkexplorer

Quite often seen exploring further than Norfolk
28DL Full Member
that was all the photos buddy, and nope don't know much else about it other than the security bloke is as blind as a bat