real time web analytics
Report - - Bellerbys College, Wadhurst, Kent, April 2015 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bellerbys College, Wadhurst, Kent, April 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mockney reject

Staff member
Did this one a while back and I’m sure you’ve all seen it before but might want to see how trashed it is now

A bit of history stolen form the internet

Prior to Bellerby's taking over this school in about 1995 it was known as Mayfield College. Mayfield was founded by the Duchess of Leeds as an Orphanage. In 1868 a Roman Catholic Order of Religious Brothers, known as the Xaverians Brothers, moved from Hastings to run Mayfield College as an independent boys boarding school. The school continued to flourish under the direction of the Brothers until 1977 when, due to a shortage of vocations into the Brothers, the school was taken over by the Mayfield College Educational Trust. It retained strong links with the Brothers several of whom still lived and taught at the College. However in about 1995 the Trust felt unable to continue the administration of the school and it was sold to Bellerby's of Wadhurst, they changed the name of the school to Bellerby College, Mayfield. The college closed in approx 2004.

The Explore

A few of us drove down here after hearing about it via the urbex tour bus, we visited it with our regular group and where amazed at the place

Although it was still trashed you could still see the beauty in the place

The floors nowadays are very crisp and mostly rotten, definitely one to have your wits about you when exploring

We managed to get in the pool area, the main building and the clock building.

The clock was pretty cool and after a bit of tinkering we managed to get it running

On entering the clock building we decided we where done and planned to walk out of the front gate, on heading that way a badass Rottweiler appeared and we whereon out toes and gone like Usian Bolt. We hid in the pool area for a while and then walked back out the way we came in.

Although happy with the explore, we couldn’t help but wonder what it was like in its heyday. Although having a look on here whilst writing this report I can see it was stunning.

Hope you enjoy my pictures

DSC_0005_zpshpfgdoci.jpg

DSC_0011_zps1bzatfs6.jpg

DSC_0023_zpsx3l0kp23.jpg

DSC_0038_zpsgk6md09u.jpg

DSC_0107_zpsshdukyug.jpg

DSC_0149_zpshua8yspm.jpg

DSC_0162_zpsjhdyxspv.jpg

DSC_0098_zpshvnny2xy.jpg

DSC_0104_zpssjwxrnkb.jpg

DSC_0188_zpsc2dgwy6w.jpg

DSC_0177_zpssp3osgxn.jpg

DSC_0190_zpsx2eui7lg.jpg

Norwood

28DL Member
28DL Member
It was an amazing place in its hey day - sadly I don't have many photos of back in the day pre digital (I was there for 4 years in the late 80's) found this though - very battered but shows the back of the main house in a non fall down state. Breaks my heart to see how it is now. Will try dig out a better photo of it pre decay!

Attachments

• high rocks.jpg
    high rocks.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 276

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
It is looking increasingly sorry for its self this place, I can see it going the same way lilllesden went before someone does something with it.

Foster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It was an amazing place in its hey day - sadly I don't have many photos of back in the day pre digital (I was there for 4 years in the late 80's) found this though - very battered but shows the back of the main house in a non fall down state. Breaks my heart to see how it is now. Will try dig out a better photo of it pre decay!
It has at last been turned into rather luxurious flats for sale by Savills. You were obviously in Norwood - I was in Atholl!