Web
Analytics
Lead or Rumour info - - Belper, Derbyshire Tunnel network | Leads, Rumours and News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Lead or Rumour info - Belper, Derbyshire Tunnel network

moopudped

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I have seen and heard many people in Belper talk about a network of tunnels under the market place (not the air raid shelter on King St). I have been stashing away all the info I can get in to the possibility of these actually existing. I know all old towns have rumors of secret tunnels but this looks to be a fact. Anyone prepared to share any info? I'm not looking for access details etc but some history would be great as I have now drawn blank with what I can find on web and in books.

lightningmurray

28DL Member
28DL Member
The network of tunnels that run under Belper around King Street appear to be the remnants of the cellars of Green Hall (the house which formerly occupied the spot of the Green House pub on King St opposite the memorial gardens until the 1950s). The tunnels themselves generally seem to have been blocked off now due to safety concerns but recently due to a collapsed wall the opening to one has been revealed, effectively proving their existence. However, since its appearance it has been blocked off to the public to my knowledge. Hopefully this helps.

moopudped

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The network of tunnels that run under Belper around King Street appear to be the remnants of the cellars of Green Hall (the house which formerly occupied the spot of the Green House pub on King St opposite the memorial gardens until the 1950s). The tunnels themselves generally seem to have been blocked off now due to safety concerns but recently due to a collapsed wall the opening to one has been revealed, effectively proving their existence. However, since its appearance it has been blocked off to the public to my knowledge. Hopefully this helps.
Thanks for the info, will have a mooch later and check out the collapse, have a rough idea where this may be! :thumb