real time web analytics
Report - - Belstone Pump House-Okehampton-June 2010 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Belstone Pump House-Okehampton-June 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lamb Phall

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The forecast was for rain so we set off, sat nav programmed 1hr later after driving through heavy rain and thick fog, we arrived at Belstone and the sun came out :).
What can I say about this village apart from its got to be one of the prettiest villages I have visited nestling in an incredible landscape. As you walk around the village you come across numerous sites of old farm machinery just lying at the roadside rotting away, left for years undisturbed and being reclaimed by nature.
As pretty this village is it reminded me of that village out of the Wicker Man.
Once you find the correct route to the Pump house there are two ways of getting to it one by the main footpath that leads you to some inspection pit covers, the other way is to follow the river how I could have jumped in there to cool off, you will have to cut across the moor to the inspection covers then on to the Pump house.

This place has been documented before but just a quick reminder

Dotted around the valley floor are various boreholes, their presence marked by mounds with concrete entrances that make them look like underground military bunkers. There is also a sunken aeration plant and pump station, with skylights punctuating a turf roof now burrowed by rabbits; it is less than a mile up the service track from Birchy Lake, downhill on the left, just as the ruin of Irishman's Wall running up to Belstone Tor is reached. But despite being done by an act of parliament, the water sprites never delivered the quantity decreed.

IMG_8019.jpg

IMG_7950.jpg

IMG_8018.jpg

IMG_7982.jpg

IMG_7981.jpg

IMG_7962.jpg

IMG_7957.jpg

IMG_7956.jpg

IMG_7999.jpg

IMG_7994.jpg

IMG_7973.jpg

IMG_7955.jpg