real time web analytics
Report - - Benenden Hospital, Kent - September 2015 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Benenden Hospital, Kent - September 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

hamtagger

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Benenden Hospital

The Explore

A couple of days before the Cliffe Forte meet me and @Urbexbandoned sat and did a bit of research of the area, i got distracted as usual by the internet because I am a man. @Urbexbandoned suggested this little gem and i'm glad she did. @Maniac and @obscurity had reported on this place a few years ago and we liked the look of the place and wondered if anything was still there worth looking at. That frontage to the main building was attractive in itself, quite an unusual layout and looked more American in architectural design in my eyes. The prospect of corridors with single ward rooms branching off like we'd seen in their reports were unfortunately no more. A lot of these are now converted into hospital offices and the like, complete with human Doctors and shit. We had a walk around the site, then decided to enter the live hospital and walk around to see if anything derpy remained. After a wander around the live bit and a nice hospital poo each, we decided that the only way to get to the corridors was to walk through the live parts, head down, awkward smiles to staff and managed to wing it through to the only remaining abandoned corridor. Rather than finding them set up like small bedrooms like we’d seen in old reports, they appeared to be just patient archive rooms and shit like that. A bit disappointed to be honest so we grabbed a few shots and headed back out past the doctors and nurses again. Had a walk around the grounds and few a few other little buildings and the swimming pool, and these turned out to be a lot more interesting, one of the buildings having rooms packed full of shiny newish looking bed and expensive hospital equipment. Not like the NHS to waste money is it? :D Right, I’ve talked enough shit…

The History

Benenden Hospital was founded in 1907 in Benenden, Kent and became the centre for hospital treatment for members of Trade Unions and Friendly Societies and subsequently large numbers of public sector employees who joined what is now benenden health.

The services provided at the hospital have moved with the times. From treatment for tuberculosis - which was its original role - to the management of chest diseases, to the current day where the hospital provides a wide range of consultation, diagnosis and treatment services for most medical and surgical specialties.

In recent years the hospital has increasingly had patients who are not members of benenden health. Local National Health Service agencies are increasing their use of the hospital's facilities, as are patients who use private medical insurance or who pay directly for their own hospital care.

The hospital provides a range of clinical services which are tailored to meet the needs of individual patients. The hospital has a Modern Matron – a senior and experienced professional – who has the authority to resolve problems.

The Pictures

22778728412_3761a861bc_b.jpg

2/3.
22803457721_282560b674_c.jpg
22778735742_3a1fdd67c3_c.jpg

22766266856_2e1de28e86_b.jpg

22169521084_e497ec5551_b.jpg

@Urbexbandoned :)
22171087793_e15408630b_b.jpg

22778650682_6995fea1e0_b.jpg

After having my blood pressure taken by @Urbexbandoned the reading unfortunately indicated I was dead :(
22766179706_8be6319be6_b.jpg

22373809617_247ac4213a_b.jpg

10/11.
22373848867_80c6f11e27_c.jpg
22778700722_91b936d089_c.jpg

22169466044_6375df1121_b.jpg

I hadn't seen a Microfiche reader for a long time before finding this one..
22373836057_7141a8e0c8_b.jpg

I'm not gonna bullshit you, I couldn't get into this building (not for the want of fucking trying), so this shot was through the window..
22171120173_e2335c88d2_b.jpg

Filing cabinet packed full of staff records and this one in particular contained a report on a staff member dismissed for getting a bit too touchy feely with a nurse...
22400047139_43e5f04084_b.jpg

16/17.
Shitter/Lit corridor..
22373792438_54a5cedfc7_c.jpg
22373825937_b78059505a_c.jpg

Unfortunately no keys in the ignitions :D
22373876677_bcbe088b58_b.jpg

Mangled..
22803466831_cfd298819b_b.jpg

Thanks for looking and feedback always appreciated :thumb

Bolts

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
If part of the hospital is still in use, is it still an offence to have the staff records in there? Curious to know the ins and outs of it...

hamtagger

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
If part of the hospital is still in use, is it still an offence to have the staff records in there? Curious to know the ins and outs of it...

I'm guessing if the records were being stored in the large part of the hospital which is mostly live it'd be ok but the records with all the disciplinary hearings were located in a separate building which used to be a staff training suite. This building was a hundred yards or so from the big live bit, sort of like they were chucked down there out of the way lol

Cheers for the comment mate :)

Bolts

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'm guessing if the records were being stored in the large part of the hospital which is mostly live it'd be ok but the records with all the disciplinary hearings were located in a separate building which used to be a staff training suite. This building was a hundred yards or so from the big live bit, sort of like they were chucked down there out of the way lol

Cheers for the comment mate :)
I'm just curious at to whether they count as abandoned or neglected

No problem, I liked the report :)

hamtagger

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'm just curious at to whether they count as abandoned or neglected

No problem, I liked the report :)

I reckon they were neglected mate, it didn't look like anyone had been in that building for a number of years.
Cheers buddy :)

BoroLad

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looks in brilliant condition considering!
Shame its so far down south...
Nice pics and report :D

Urbexbandoned

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Very nice. With all those windows can't help thinking it would have served as a TB hospital at some point.

@tumbles it did, we found this while researching the post office Sanatorium Society was founded in 1905 to help working class post office employees control the tuberculosis epidemic when conventional medical insurance was not widely affordable. The business model of weekly member fees was proposed by a Post Office clerk, Charles Garland.

Last edited:

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
lovely stuff mate and good to see some more of the place. Unfortunately a large section was pulled down and new buildings I believe have just been finished. I always thought this place may have more to offer. Nice shots :thumb