real time web analytics
Report - - Berjaya Mahe Beach Resort, Seychelles | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Berjaya Mahe Beach Resort, Seychelles

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

N

Nowhere Man

Hi I am a new member and have been on a number of outings with Urban mainly round the north west.

This is my first post and wanted to start with recent explore I did on my honeymoon in Seychelles.

This was a quick jaunt as I was in a foreign country and on my own so a bit jumpy so did not hang around for very long and did not know how stringent the laws were on trespassing!

This was a hotel that was located on the West Coast of the Island of Mahe in the Seychelles Archipelago called the Mahe Beach Resort and was built in 1975 (back then it must have been the only hotel on the west side of the island.) It is typical of its era a huge, environmentally unaware mass of concrete with 173 rooms, pool (boasted as the biggest on the island) and club. As well as expansive gardens, private beach and some rare Aldabra tortoises held in captivity (I have to report that these fantastic animals have been left to fend for themselves in their pen since the hotel closure and possibly only cared for by locals). I was advised by a local that these animals where in the hotel gardens and not really known about by tourists so went unnoticed. I was more excited to learn that the hotel I had passed several times was derelict and wasa therefore compelled to take the 30 min walk to see for myself and check out if there was any security knocking about. To my delight I arrived late one afternoon to find there was nobody home and tentatively took a wander round the property. I was however more concerned about walking head first in to the web of one of the massive spiders they have on the island!

Berjaya Hotels the last owners recently closed down this site (unable to acertain exactly when but I guess about 2007ish as the hotel still features on many tour operators websites rather disconcertingly?) and it has stood empty since. Locals tell me the site has been acquired by rich Arabian developers.

Me and my wife went back the next day cos she wanted to see the tortoises and 'had always wanted to stand in an empty swimming pool' we had a quick nosey round got in the empty pool (sorry no good pics as camera was on the blink and completely overexposed the shots in the bright sun) 15 mins in and we were busted by maintenance people and told very abruptly to clear off. Good random find none the less!

Hope you enjoy my 1st post!

Pics

SG108365.jpg

SG108375.jpg

SG108383.jpg

SG108403.jpg

SG108407.jpg

SG108408.jpg

SG108418.jpg

SG108420.jpg

SG108439.jpg

SG108430.jpg

SG108459.jpg

SG108466.jpg

SG108477.jpg

A lot more here:
http://s1001.photobucket.com/albums/af137/No_where_Man/Berjaya Mahe Beach Resort - Seychelles UE/

Last edited by a moderator:

Olkka

Chillin at the structure
Regular User
Fabulous. Did not expect this to be on here. I honeymooned in Seychelles a few months ago (much to the woe of my wallet) and noticed this on Google Maps near where we were staying, it seemed to be a 'local landmark' that non-derpers would go and mooch around so I followed suit. My wife (not a fan of any 'rough going') was open to having a look but at the roadside gate at the end of the drive, a man in a plastic chair sat, politely denying a walk in. I tried to bribe him but he wasn't having it, and kindly the wife allowed me to go on a half-hour venture 'around' whilst she grabbed a Seybrew and waited in the bar over the road. She informs me this evening 'that hotel in the Seychelles is on your urbex forum, by the way'. Looks totally new in your photos, just closed. Must've been nice. I had to whizz round; it is obviously really weathered and gritty now given the coastal setting, but not in bad shape, and still retaining its demonstrable architectural delight. Plus not vandalised or looted too much to the level you'd expect in hot climate countries. A brief 13 years later update, such is what love the internet for:

000043820028_25.jpg

000043820035_32.jpg

000043820033_30.jpg

000043820032_29.jpg

000043820031_28.jpg

000043820027_24.jpg

000043820029_26.jpg

000043820030_27.jpg