real time web analytics
Report - - Berkshire China / Brian Wood Ceramics, Stoke-on-Trent – November 2019 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Berkshire China / Brian Wood Ceramics, Stoke-on-Trent – November 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MotionlessMike

28DL Regular User
Regular User
This industrial site first began life in around 1919 as a bakery, set up by H.P Emburey Bakers. Apparently it housed North Staffordshire’s first ‘automatic bakery’. By the 1950’s it had become a warehouse, used by ‘Overhead Line Fittings Ltd’. How long this went on for I cannot say, but certainly by the mid 90’s it had become a pottery and home to Berkshire China. After they went bust in 2003 it became the ‘Victoria Industrial Complex’ and housed several small potters and wholesalers such as Brian Wood Ceramics, Staffordshire China and Best China. From 2007 onward it was finally a furniture sales warehouse called TC’s Bargain Furniture.

I’m sure there’s loads more history with this place, so if anyone knows any then I’d be interested to read it.

In the 1950's

And currently

The ground floor was home to some rough sleepers and stacks of pigeon shite covered flat pack furniture. Further towards the back of the ground floor was this kiln, kindly being held open by @oldboots

Moulds

A ware dryer poking out of the flat-pack specials

Biscuitware

Loads of lithos, the first lot are definitely Brian Wood Ceramics for use with their art deco style ware

Up to the first floor

Another kiln

More transfers, not sure whose these were

Right at the top of the works, another room with a kiln and a lift at the far end

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice write up, its seen plenty of use then. Liking the old potteries, some really cool art deco tiles there. Kiln shots always a bonus. Enjoyed this :thumb

raisinwing

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Lovely mate, does look pretty decent in this one!

Supposedly the large arched windows were bought in the sale of stuff when Trentham Hall was demolished.

MotionlessMike

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Lovely mate, does look pretty decent in this one!

Supposedly the large arched windows were bought in the sale of stuff when Trentham Hall was demolished.

Yeah worth a quick poke mate. I heard they were from a sale at Trentham, but didn't know they were from the hall itself. That's pretty cool.

Who has read this thread (Total: 201) View details