real time web analytics
Question - - Best asylums to explore? | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Best asylums to explore?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

AlexandraLily

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'm really new to this but wanting to visit and explore an abandoned asylum tomorrow, had a look at a few online but struggling to find out which ones are still standing? Was looking at maybe Hellingly or west park? Does anyone know if they're still worth visiting? Or can anyone recommend the best ones to visit? Thanks

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Haha good luck. Theres virtually nothing left now. Few recent closures but you will just fail or get caught at the moment

AlexandraLily

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Haha good luck. Theres virtually nothing left now. Few recent closures but you will just fail or get caught at the moment
Haha, thank you! We're heading off to East Sussex anyway, seems to be a few abandoned buildings around there

Heroic J

All for one
28DL Full Member
As what @Speed said, there is literally anything left of the old asylums. Those that do stand are either converted or are in the process of being demolished, as is Severalls. Sad really

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
I'm really new to this but wanting to visit and explore an abandoned asylum tomorrow, had a look at a few online but struggling to find out which ones are still standing? Was looking at maybe Hellingly or west park? Does anyone know if they're still worth visiting? Or can anyone recommend the best ones to visit? Thanks

Maybe start looking at the pinned post at the top of this forum. As Speed & Heroic said.. most are long gone and certainly don't expect to find something like West Park or Hellingly standing still. Long gone.

clebby

( . Y . )
Regular User
Bit more to see in Scotland if you ever find yourself up there. I'd think you'd probably have some luck with Stratheden or Bangor Village

paulpowers

Massive Member
Regular User
Talgarth is in bits, there are still quite a few hospitals but asylum wise there's Talgarth, Denbigh, and a few others which are mostly fucked up shells with nothing left inside

True_British_Metal

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Have you been? Not much from Ireland makes its way on here so would be good to see.
Yes. I've just uploaded pictures from Our Lady's in Ennis, which was stripped back completely and fairly average. The other one is a truly, truly epic one: St Brigid's in Ballinasloe. It's by far and wide the best asylum I've ever explored, and I've got some of the pics uploaded but upload speeds are really, really poor now!

I also attempted another; St Ita's in Portrane just north of Dublin. This has been derelict for a number of years and is well known to Irish explorers, however its front admin plus some outbuildings are still in use. The vast majority of wards are derelict and have clearly been seen to by local kids trying to get inside but staff are regularly going in and out (maintenance staff, checking windows). I managed to get into the service tunnels, but was caught after speaking to a maintenance worker who may have dobbed me in, or been spotted by the CCTV they have there. Security and staff presence is tight because around ~200 beds are still occupied and for patient safety they gave me a strict talking too hahaha! Nevertheless, it is actually possible to negotiate permission visits, which I didn't know. Either way I peered through some windows, and believe me when I say it looked EPIC.

clebby

( . Y . )
Regular User
Yes. I've just uploaded pictures from Our Lady's in Ennis, which was stripped back completely and fairly average. The other one is a truly, truly epic one: St Brigid's in Ballinasloe. It's by far and wide the best asylum I've ever explored, and I've got some of the pics uploaded but upload speeds are really, really poor now!

I also attempted another; St Ita's in Portrane just north of Dublin. This has been derelict for a number of years and is well known to Irish explorers, however its front admin plus some outbuildings are still in use. The vast majority of wards are derelict and have clearly been seen to by local kids trying to get inside but staff are regularly going in and out (maintenance staff, checking windows). I managed to get into the service tunnels, but was caught after speaking to a maintenance worker who may have dobbed me in, or been spotted by the CCTV they have there. Security and staff presence is tight because around ~200 beds are still occupied and for patient safety they gave me a strict talking too hahaha! Nevertheless, it is actually possible to negotiate permission visits, which I didn't know. Either way I peered through some windows, and believe me when I say it looked EPIC.

Looking forward to seeing St Brigids.

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Search 'connacht district asylum'. That's it's full name and there are several reports on here already . Does look good but not been over that way in a few years! Maybe worth a trip before too long. Theres a few over there simlar to Scotland

AlexandraLily

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks guys, we ended up exploring the abandoned flour mill in east sussex in the end, and we came across a derelict farm house and stables by chance with a piano and some other items still left in it.. Will definitely be heading to Scotland soon to check out what's there!

Last edited by a moderator: