real time web analytics
Best Prime Lens | Photography and Video Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Best Prime Lens

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

FreeLikeAMason

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I recently bought my first dslr, it's an entry level Nikon d3300. I've taken it on one explore and I'm happy with the quality of pics produced however I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on which prime lens I should get, 35mm, 50mm or maybe even a wide angle. Any advice or opinion would be appreciated.

The Amateur Wanderer

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Whatever you do, don't buy the DX 35mm for Nikon, it's a bag of plaggy shit...

The 50mm F1.8 that I use is spot on, recently a lot of my reports have been done on Sony Kit, but if you look at my Pilkingtons Glass report most of that was shot on the 50mm, it's spot on. May be a little tight on a DX Camera but it's a good investment for if you ever decide to go full frame.

If 50's too tight, get a 35, but spend a little less on an FX one with an aperture ring, build quality is much better and again, a potential future investment!

50mm -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-Nik...608562?hash=item1c4c9f8b32:g:x4wAAOSwxYxUt5-a

35mm -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-AF-...192668?hash=item33ae74591c:g:Lx4AAOSw1S9WcPkg

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:

drhowser

Bespectacled & irrelevant
Regular User
Couldn't disagree more about the 35 1.8. It might be more plastic, but the images it takes are brilliant.

elhomer12

Maglite size T-rex, It's time for urbex!
28DL Full Member
The 35 1.8 is a great lens, it's plastic, but so are the alternatives :thumb

The Amateur Wanderer

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I'm not a fan, the mrs swears by hers, I don't see why you'd spend more on the DX lens though when you could get a cheaper but better built lens, with the same glass in it and an aperture ring, you're basically paying more for less...

Last edited:

elhomer12

Maglite size T-rex, It's time for urbex!
28DL Full Member
You can get it below £100 on the used market. Sure, you could opt for the 35mm AF-D f2 if you want better build quality but then you introduce the issue of autofocus since the D3300 doesn't have a motor. The 50 isn't really comparable IMO since its a less useful lens on DX being 75mm equiv, and of course with that as well there's the autofocus issue with the AF-D version.

BrainL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I have a DX 35mm as well and think the sharpness and quality of pics from it are excellent, especially at the price its at.. actually, this is the first bad review I've heard of it..

I use the 35mm and a Tokina 11-16mm wide angle for explores and never felt I needed anything else..

Hope this helps a little mate

The Amateur Wanderer

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Picture quality is good, but it's no better than the better built lenses because it's the same glass...

If auto focus matters to you then perhaps the DX lens is better but coming from someone who often uses manual focus lenses, it seems pointless...

Especially in the field of Urban Exploration... If you where shooting sports I'd agree that the auto focusing is lacking.

Have a think about what matters to you as a photographer and make your decision from that would be my recommendation.

BrainL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
If auto focus matters to you then perhaps the DX lens is better but coming from someone who often uses manual focus lenses, it seems pointless...

Especially in the field of Urban Exploration... If you where shooting sports I'd agree that the auto focusing is lacking.

Great point that mate, I bought the prime a few weeks after the camera and still quite new to photography now so auto focus was very important to me..

drhowser

Bespectacled & irrelevant
Regular User
Picture quality is good, but it's no better than the better built lenses because it's the same glass...

Have a think about what matters to you as a photographer and make your decision from that would be my recommendation.

Are you sure they're the same glass? They have totally different scores on dxo, and one is full frame while the other is crop.

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Nikon/Nikon-AF-Nikkor-35mm-F2D-mounted-on-Nikon-D5300__919
http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Nikon/AF-S-DX-NIKKOR-35-mm-f-1.8G-mounted-on-Nikon-D5300__919

FreeLikeAMason

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thank you for the replies as I'm a bit of a photography amateur and you guy's seem to know what you're talking about.
Prior to asking this question I was verging on going for the 35mm as someone told me it would be more closer a 50mm on a non full frame camera.
BrainL mentioned that he shoots with the 35mm and Tokina 11-16, the Tokina was the wide angle zoom I was planning to get once I start doing a bit of overtime at work so it's good to know that it's a good combo.
Seeing as the Nikon 35mm and 50mm are so cheap, would it be worth buying both?