real time web analytics
Report - - Bethel Quarry, Bradford-on-Avon - March 2015 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bethel Quarry, Bradford-on-Avon - March 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
We've been checking this place regularly, it's always been closed but recently we found it wide open. Not only open, but the electricity and lights were on.

BE WARNED - a group of people were physically assaulted at Bethel Quarry on Friday 1st May 2015 by some thug wielding a baseball bat, who accused them of breaking in. Somehow that's unlikely as it has been open for months. It's probably still open....

Some history from the MCRA...

A fairly small (120,000 square feet total area), single adit entrance Bath stone quarry. The Bethel quarries were extensively worked by Messrs. Rogers according to the Bradford on Avon Gazetteer of 1868. It was later requisitioned in 1939 by the War Department and used for Royal Naval storage after some strengthening work. It was later used by Oakfield Farm Products as a mushroom farm and before that had been used by Heinz to grow mushrooms for its mushroom soup. Mushroom production stopped in September 2010 and it was offered for sale in April 2011 as having potential for underground storage. The Estate Agent details reported a "large and historic stone quarry extending to very approximately 10 acres with mains power, water and sewerage connected. The quarry ceased to be mined for stone at the end of the 19th Century but was latterly been used for the farming of mushrooms, though for some months has been disused.

An article from the BBC... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-12938136

..." it had been used by Oakfield Farm Products for the past decade and before that had been used by Heinz to grow mushrooms for its mushroom soup." ...

And we'll begin with that. Here's the Darlington Mushrooms sign. I think Darlington were a subsidiary of Heinz, they certainly had the same directors...

DSC_5945.jpg

and then Oakfield...

DSC_5913.jpg

Outside the canteen or whatever it was...

DSC_5916.jpg

The complete urbexor...

DSC_5910.jpg

The place of a million white balances...

DSC_5919.jpg

DSC_5923.jpg

DSC_5927.jpg

DSC_5929.jpg

Beautiful looking water...

DSC_5932.jpg

Some strange paintings in one of the rooms...

DSC_5935.jpg

DSC_5936.jpg

@rigsby snorting some dodgy substance, best man for the job...

DSC_5937.jpg

and the group shot finale...

DSC_5951.jpg

Seffy

Staff member
Spot on that is mate. Enjoyed our jaunts down here. Hopefully this thug will meet someone who he'll regret threatening with a bat....

Dark Prince

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
What was the outcome of the bat wielding loon?. Liking the Brian pics as well. As i was nowhere near the place i guess its all my fault!.
DP

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
So sorry to hear of the incident. I hope police action is involved. Just to clarify: according to MCRA the obvious house at the main entrance is "nothing to do with" the quarry. So lets not throw any accusations towards the residents of this house.

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
Cool stuff :thumb Shame someone feels the need to attack people and use crap excuses to justify their actions

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Nice reportage and lets hope there is no broken bones from the incident!

Haunted the truth

28DL Member
28DL Member
phoned around to the local farms and they dont seem to care and theres no signs outside saying not too. unsure who owns it and if its even classified as trespass anymore

Greenqueen91

28DL Member
28DL Member
I'm not sure if this thread is still being watched but I thought I'd comment and tell you what I've just read about this place. I'm reading a book called County Lines by Jason Farrell. Bethel Quarry is mentioned as a group of cavers went down to explore the mines in 2018 and stumbled across a massive cannabis farm. The cavers were chased off by a baseball bat wielding manaic. Once above ground the cavers reported it to the police. The caves were raided in October 2018 where police recovered dozens of black tents filled with cannabis plants. The farmers had bedrooms and even a gym in the mines

Who has read this thread (Total: 200) View details