real time web analytics
Report - - Bethel Quarry - Wiltshire - March 2015 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bethel Quarry - Wiltshire - March 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Idavoll

Who?
28DL Full Member
This place has been open for a while now but still nothing was going up; but with recent events (nutter with a baseball bat) it looks like the green flag has been issued for reports.

Big thanks to @wellingtonian , @Lenston and @rigsby for giving me the heads up about this place - turned out it was around the corner from me so over the past few months I've visited the place a lot. Oddly enough though I didn't seem to bring my camera much but was a nice place to relax with a can of Pimm's, play on a "bucking bronco", skateboarding around and watch someone take a swim in a the well.

History

Bethel Quarry started it’s life in the hands of the Bath and Portland Stone Company but when quarrying finished it was put to a new use by the Agaric Mushroom company as a mushroom farm. With it’s constant temperature and dark conditions it is the perfect location for mushroom growth.

In 1939 the War Department requisitioned the quarry, carried out some strengthening work and used the quarry to store naval anti-aircraft parts, radio direction finding equipment and optical equipment during the Second World War.

After the war the quarry was handed back to the mushroom company, this was because the roof level was to low in places making it unsuitable for military use plus near-by Copenacre Quarry was big enough for the Royal Navy’s storage needs by this time.

The quarry was soon put back to use as a mushroom farm until it closed in September 2010.

Some mushroom posters from the quarry staff room:
DSC05663_zpsnecsxind.jpg

DSC05669_zpskwvnvscc.jpg

DSC05659_zpsn6yh61es.jpg

Gas-mask mong:
DSC05645_zpsznrwqgxl.jpg

DSC05695_zpswzqgcr9m.jpg

DSC05691_zps1nruqrk5.jpg

The quarry had section names throughout (@wellingtonian 's report has some great pictures of these) as the quarry itself if pretty samey with the lime covered walls these signs made it easy to navigate yourself around.
DSC05688_zpsukwe2e6l.jpg

DSC05680_zpsjhnanp6z.jpg

DSC05675_zpscprsonie.jpg

DSC05715_zps9knygxgs.jpg

Gloves, glorious gloves!!
DSC05711_zpswxqznwkw.jpg

DSC07352_zpszcebdlz7.jpg

Nothing says "let's have a party" like a big ball of gloves.
DSC05721_zps3nd1g2ll.jpg

DSC05729_zpsrtcwvrs4.jpg

Traditional urbex christmas tree.
DSC05672_zps1epuejyx.jpg

kendo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good picture went in a week ago took some pictures and looked around as I used to go in when they first shut good to go back shame they built on Poulton one now