real time web analytics
Report - - Bethel Quarry - Wiltshire - May 2022 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bethel Quarry - Wiltshire - May 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Doozer

Probably underground somewhere
Regular User
History:
Bethel Quarry started it’s life in the hands of the Bath and Portland Stone Company but when quarrying finished it was put to a new use by the Agaric Mushroom company as a mushroom farm. With it’s constant temperature and dark conditions it is the perfect location for mushroom growth.

In 1939 the War Department requisitioned the quarry, carried out some strengthening work and used the quarry to store naval anti-aircraft parts, radio direction finding equipment and optical equipment during the Second World War.

After the war the quarry was handed back to the mushroom company, this was because the roof level was to low in places making it unsuitable for military use plus near-by Copenacre Quarry was big enough for the Royal Navy’s storage needs by this time.

The quarry was soon put back to use as a mushroom farm until it closed in September 2010.
Explore:
Visited with @richiemelon and a non member. Continuing our monthly visit to Wiltshire we decided to turn our attention to some of the smaller mines in the area and this was the first on my list. This is because of the challenges it presents getting in (or down!). This is the first mine I’ve seen that didn’t have galleries filled with dead’s so it feels a lot bigger than it actually is, it was fairly easy to navigate around without any need for maps or a compass. It was also the place of the uk’s biggest cannabis bust and you can see why. We counted 12 tents that are 2 grand a pop! We estimated the price in materials,tents,equipment would cost well over 50 grand to set up. That is some dedication and balls of steel :rofl. It was a nice little explore all in all and another one to tick of the list. Photos of my iPhone as usual
Crane remains

Water tank

Not sure as to what these are so if anyone knows I’d like to know

The remains of the weed grow and other things

Attachments

• A90A84D7-5DA9-4302-9617-A2A660E5CC88.jpeg
    A90A84D7-5DA9-4302-9617-A2A660E5CC88.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited by a moderator:

Doozer

Regular User
Might be worth taking the date out of the title :thumb
I thought you had to put the date in the title though? I did read your report on here, looks like you got to see before it got absolutely trashed by idiots.

Lenston

Bajo Tierra
Regular User
I thought you had to put the date in the title though? I did read your report on here, looks like you got to see before it got absolutely trashed by idiots.
Exact day you visited I mean, I’ve changed it for you. Luckily got to see it before all the mess yeah.

CantClimbTom

Enthusiastic Idiot and prolific BS talker
28DL Full Member
Enjoyed the report, a great explore

I'm no photographer but been trying to improve, each of my attempts slightly better than last. I notice the bright spot in your pics. Might not be for everyone but one thing I used on my last trip really helped me was https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08MTLY8L9/?tag=networkmechan-21 for £12.44 and it gives a very even bright white light without that "hotspot". It comes with 2 really cheapo 18650 batteries inside (which you could upgrade to much better ones if you want longer runtime) but if you just want a flood for taking pics it's just fine out the box. Hope it helps. Enjoy...

Doozer

Regular User
Enjoyed the report, a great explore

I'm no photographer but been trying to improve, each of my attempts slightly better than last. I notice the bright spot in your pics. Might not be for everyone but one thing I used on my last trip really helped me was https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08MTLY8L9/?tag=networkmechan-21 for £12.44 and it gives a very even bright white light without that "hotspot". It comes with 2 really cheapo 18650 batteries inside (which you could upgrade to much better ones if you want longer runtime) but if you just want a flood for taking pics it's just fine out the box. Hope it helps. Enjoy...
Yeah that hotspot bugs the life out of me to be fair, I will get one to use for next month and hopefully you’ll notice the difference, cheers mate :thumb

jame.trigg

28DL Member
28DL Member
History:
Bethel Quarry started it’s life in the hands of the Bath and Portland Stone Company but when quarrying finished it was put to a new use by the Agaric Mushroom company as a mushroom farm. With it’s constant temperature and dark conditions it is the perfect location for mushroom growth.

In 1939 the War Department requisitioned the quarry, carried out some strengthening work and used the quarry to store naval anti-aircraft parts, radio direction finding equipment and optical equipment during the Second World War.

After the war the quarry was handed back to the mushroom company, this was because the roof level was to low in places making it unsuitable for military use plus near-by Copenacre Quarry was big enough for the Royal Navy’s storage needs by this time.

The quarry was soon put back to use as a mushroom farm until it closed in September 2010.
Explore:
Visited with @richiemelon and a non member. Continuing our monthly visit to Wiltshire we decided to turn our attention to some of the smaller mines in the area and this was the first on my list. This is because of the challenges it presents getting in (or down!). This is the first mine I’ve seen that didn’t have galleries filled with dead’s so it feels a lot bigger than it actually is, it was fairly easy to navigate around without any need for maps or a compass. It was also the place of the uk’s biggest cannabis bust and you can see why. We counted 12 tents that are 2 grand a pop! We estimated the price in materials,tents,equipment would cost well over 50 grand to set up. That is some dedication and balls of steel :rofl. It was a nice little explore all in all and another one to tick of the list. Photos of my iPhone as usual
Crane remains

Water tank

Not sure as to what these are so if anyone knows I’d like to know

The remains of the weed grow and other things

NOTICE: The quarry is not abandoned and is being developed by the owner. The quarry and land above are private and all trespassers will be prosecuted. There was a recent there in which an exploer was seriously injured. PLEASE KEEP OUT!

Doozer

Regular User
NOTICE: The quarry is not abandoned and is being developed by the owner. The quarry and land above are private and all trespassers will be prosecuted. There was a recent there in which an exploer was seriously injured. PLEASE KEEP OUT!
I hope the explorer wasn’t too badly injured and your notice and been noted :thumb

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin

Don't you mean "we've rented it out to some Romanian gangsters who will beat you with baseball bats if you go near their grow"

Same as last time.

Who has read this thread (Total: 325) View details