real time web analytics
Report - - Bickershaw Colliery Railway, Lancashire, Jan 1971 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bickershaw Colliery Railway, Lancashire, Jan 1971

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bovine

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The main South Lancashire Coalfield was in a kind of rectangle with Wigan, Bolton, Manchester and Warrington at the corners. The area became riddled with mines, as there were many good, workable coal seams not too far from the surface.
Near the town of Leigh, Bickershaw Colliery was opened in 1877. It was expanded and deepened to exploit the rich seams beneath, until it was linked up to Golborne and Parsonage Collieries underground, in a £3 Million scheme, completed in 1976. Some 90% of its output was destined for power generation and in 1970 a scheme was devised to divert much of its output to the nearby Fiddlers Ferry power station, which was being served by coal trains from Yorkshire. For this to be feasable, Merry-go-Round trains would be used with special hopper wagons that were automatically discharged at the power station whilst the train slowly moved over a bunker set below the rails.
The collieries in the area that were to be used had to have their loading bunkers tested, to see if the new waggons would fit under them, so I, whist working for BR, had two pleasant days with a Class 31 diesel loco and 2 hopper waggons visiting the collieries concerned.
Bickershaw Coliery was connected to a branch line that ran between Kenyon Junction and Hindley, near Wigan. When this closed, access was from the Hindley end only and the NCB took over the last mile of the branch. As BR loco's were not allowed on the NCB, the waggons had to be taken by a colliery loco to the bunkers.
The colliery was still steam worked, with a fleet of modern 0-6-0 Saddle Tank 'Austerity' engines and as at 8am, there were no bosses about, I was able to photograph and ride on the engines, something that the public would not get the chance to do.

ir8HE3695of1950Bickershaw011971Small.jpg

Collecting the waggons

ii9Bickershaw011971Small.jpg

Arriving at the pithead

Photobucket | The safer way to store your photos

ir10HE3831of1955Bickershaw011971Small.jpg

In Winter morning sunlight

ir12HE3695of1950Bickershaw011971Small.jpg

Drivers view, the white crossed waggons were for internal use only

ir7HE3695of1950Bickershaw011971Small.jpg

ir11Bickershaw011971Small.jpg

The coal went out in 16 ton steel waggons, which were emptied by being uncoupled and inverted in a tippler, which took a lot of time!

Despite there being ample reserves, the pit failed to meet its production targets, was declared uneconomic, closing in March 1992, along with nearby Parsonage Colliery. Golborne closed in 1989.
The site was earmarked for a 'carbon neutral' housing development.

ir12aiBickershawCollierysite.jpg

Kenni

Derp Lover
28DL Full Member
I'm joking - wish it was! Would have liked to have driven the 0-6-0's though. Better than the crap I drive nowadays lol. My Grandad worked at Bickershaw Colliery 'back in the day'

Nick0

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'm joking - wish it was! Would have liked to have driven the 0-6-0's though. Better than the crap I drive nowadays lol. My Grandad worked at Bickershaw Colliery 'back in the day'
Good info, I hate modern crap nothing is made to last like it used to! When we was kids anything made in China was a joke....How times have changed!!

dartian

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
When im your boss thats all you'll be driving