real time web analytics
Report - - Bidston Deep Level Shelter/Tunnels - April 2012. | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bidston Deep Level Shelter/Tunnels - April 2012.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin

Bidston Hill Deep Shelter/Tunnels

Ojay/Camera Shy/Leaf

Snip.jpg

Hahaha not so big boy, I decided to go and waste some time after all ;)

(In all seriousness, it must have taken some real effort to crack this)

Some Shizzle:

In 1941 there were proposals for two deep shelters, endorsed by the Civil Defence Emergency Committee

One such shelter was Bidston Hill, completed in 1943 the project had cost a staggering £48,006

950 tons of sand were removed from the tunnels which were blasted with explosives

Finished by hand a series of tunnels 7ft wide and 6ft 6in high with an arched roof were constructed

Although it never saw the scale of use it was intended for, tickets do exist and people did shelter under Bidston

There were 2,213 bunks and 793 seats, as well as a canteen, staff dormitory, toilets, medical aid post and a ventilation shaft/emergency escape hatch

PLAN.jpg

Media attention shifted to Bidston in 2009 as officers searched for Gary Finlay, who was wanted in connection with a brutal stabbing

POLICE used diggers to excavate tunnels and air raid shelters in Bidston in their hunt for the murder suspect who had allegedly used the place as a hideout

It was promptly sealed by the authorities, then became 'open' briefly in 2010

Having missed the boat by a matter of weeks on this, I had since made a couple of re-visits to attempt a way in

With no luck despite numerous digs etc, I literally wrote it off until I saw a recent report...

After having spent a couple of hours down there, Leaf made his way to the entrance and all I heard was "Ojay it's sealed!"

WTF?

Seriously whilst we were down there, some tard had decided to 'seal' us in, with some effort from Leaf we managed to break free, just!

I'll give it less than a week and a metric fuck tonne of concrete will be thrown at it, and probably sealed for good :banghead

Many of the original features have vanished over the years, as the local chavs/pikey's have had their day in here graffing it up and smashing it to smitherines :wanker

80ft down - Emergency Escape Shaft

1.jpg

Distro board

2.jpg

This way, That way

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Wonder whats through the hole?

9.jpg

Moar Tunnels..

10.jpg

11.jpg

W.C/Washroom - (a.k.a Bogs)

12.jpg

Take your pick

13.jpg

Entrance (SEALED)

14.jpg

15.jpg
16_2.jpg

"Ojay said it's sealed" ;)

17.jpg

Finally glad to have seen this :thumb

Last edited:

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
Re: Bidston Hill Deep Shelter/Tunnels - April 2012.

"I can hear a helicopter".............. "I can Hear voices"................."Fuck someones sealed us in" :D

Nice deeeeeeep shelterz

bidston-15r.jpg

bidston-14r.jpg
bidston-2r.jpg

I will put the Kawasaki derpster in if your too embarrased too :D

bidston-5r.jpg

bidston-7r.jpg
bidston-20r.jpg
bidston-19r.jpg
bidston-11r.jpg

Last edited:

Leaf1471

Tourist Information Depot
28DL Full Member
Cool report guys...a couple of mine

Ojay was too embarassed to post his shots of rusty bike derp, so here is evidence of him taking photos of rusty bike derp...

DSCF2208Small.jpg

DSCF2202Small.jpg

DSCF2204Small.jpg