real time web analytics
Report - - Big Humpty/The Minger, Manchester - March 2010 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Big Humpty/The Minger, Manchester - March 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Visited By Ojay & Urban Soldier

Having already explored the 'Medlock Culvert' we decided to see what else the Medlock place had to offer, we came across 'Big Humpty'

This is another section where the Medlock is culverted near Newton Heath. Built by the Victorians it is of a Stone and Brick construction and looking at its condition easily around 100 years old like most other drains in Manc.

_1012463.jpg

It's only a small mooch around 300 yards then you reach the outfall, it's also quite slippy, nearly went in at one point :eek:

The River Medlock then winds downstream towards the city centre, leaving Clayton and passing through Philips Park Cemetry, which was an eerie place to walk through late at night with nearly a Full Moon.

On the way we passed a CSO which seemed quite dry, it was an 'Egg shaped' duct, made of lovely Blue Staffordshire Brick. Someone had previously barred off the gate so we decided to take a look, as you do......

This place is known as the 'Minger' so I decided to use the respirator as I had heard stories of gases etc in here. The plan was to get a few photos and get out quick, which we did!!

After a back-breaking stoop up the 'Egg Shaped' pipe we were now in some inspection chamber, ahead was more smaller RCP. After another stoop we arrived at this MASSIVE chamber, and to the right over the side was the 'Tank'.

The smell in here was real badman sewerfresh, also there was some serious heat in here too. It was very difficult to take any photos as it was so steamy and the lighting was almost impossible. There was masses of foam in the bottom of the 'Tank' and to the right it appeared 'Sewerfresh' was running through it.

I wanted to climb down and take a good look around here, but I think it was Concrete Jungle that once said "Unless you have Ski Poles to keep you up forget it!" - Good advice man, besides the smell and the gases it was looking slippy as hell, even the 'inspection' platform wasn't do-able due to the conditions. My lens was steaming up and even using the flash the camera was struggling to focus.

When the weather gets a bit better, I might attempt the 'Tank' another day, it was HUGE and probably a good little 'splore of it's own....

After about 5 minutes in here breathing was difficult, time to leave......

Infall - Looking Out
_1012488.jpg

Inside Humpty
_1012467.jpg

_1012491.jpg

Outfall
_1012499.jpg

Ojay & Urban Soldier
_1012508.jpg

Bridge Crossing Cemetry
_1012513.jpg

Entrance To The 'Minger'
_1012585.jpg

'Minger' Outfall
_1012581.jpg

Inside the CSO
_1012558.jpg

Some Cool Lightpainting By Urban Soldier
_1012577.jpg

_1012578.jpg

Inside The 'Minger'
_1012520.jpg

Covered In Poop
_1012533.jpg

Bottom Of 'Tank'
_1012525.jpg

Thanks for Looking :thumb

Last edited:

J4M35_UK

MEDOTDOOTC
28DL Full Member
Re: Big Humptey/The Minger, Manchester - March 2010

That culvert's lovely, that CSO's grim though. Nice work chaps.

U

Urban Soldier

And a few shots of my own from our explore

Myself
DSC03303.jpg

The big un!!!!
DSC03302.jpg

Too warm and misty in this room for many pics.....Humidity!!
DSC03354.jpg

Ojay
DSC03395.jpg

Back Breaker!!
DSC03398.jpg

Light Fun
DSC03404.jpg

Entrance
DSC03407.jpg

Exit
DSC03410.jpg

DSC03408.jpg

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin

Nice one US, some good photos there :thumb

Gone

Regular User
Some crackers there fellas well done :thumb Have to get myself down that way again soon.

toothdoctor

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Far less was going on when I was last down there.

3936758180_91f9912733.jpg

Certainly lives up to its name. The whole place is covered in a disgusting slime. For the record at one end is about a 5ft rcp at one end and I assume the other end is the same. I would have taken a wander but certainly what CJ said is true. Wouldn't say no to crampons either! The ladder is FOUL also. If you look at the high sewage mark on the pillars it certainly does fill up to the top which is the state I believe Siologen originally found it in!

O

Oldskool

some nice shot looks really cool down there but the poop....i dont know about that

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Far less was going on when I was last down there.

3936758180_91f9912733.jpg

Certainly lives up to its name. The whole place is covered in a disgusting slime. For the record at one end is about a 5ft rcp at one end and I assume the other end is the same. I would have taken a wander but certainly what CJ said is true. Wouldn't say no to crampons either! The ladder is FOUL also. If you look at the high sewage mark on the pillars it certainly does fill up to the top which is the state I believe Siologen originally found it in!

When was that picture taken, lots considerably dry compared to what I witnessed. That ladder & metal platform was a no go... I did see the sewage marks, look like there is some diverter upstream as it certainly fills up.

Does anyone have any more info on this place and how it works?

BTW that picture is the bollox! visibility was shocking, there was some kind of 'sewer fresh' mist, Made SSSI look squeeky clean :D

The slime is disgusting like nothing I've seen before

Anyway thanks for sharing dude :thumb

siologen

I Go Where The Drains Are
Regular User
Lol, the Minger was about 3/4 full when i stumbled into it. Smelt so bad it was one of those few occasions where you think youre sniffing someones arse. Straight from the Bowl!

Id love to see it empty tho.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lol, the Minger was about 3/4 full when i stumbled into it. Smelt so bad it was one of those few occasions where you think youre sniffing someones arse. Straight from the Bowl!

Id love to see it empty tho.

PMSL > it was fairly empty, but was hard to breath, slippy as fook with some proper Bo Slimey shite :eek:

toothdoctor

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
When was that picture taken, lots considerably dry compared to what I witnessed. That ladder & metal platform was a no go... I did see the sewage marks, look like there is some diverter upstream as it certainly fills up.

Does anyone have any more info on this place and how it works?

BTW that picture is the bollox! visibility was shocking, there was some kind of 'sewer fresh' mist, Made SSSI look squeeky clean :D

The slime is disgusting like nothing I've seen before

Anyway thanks for shgaring dude :thumb

It was taken sometime on a summer afternoon....although how much the time of day affects it I have no idea but some sewers are less active during working hours....

It was misty when we were there too but not quite as much as your picture shows!

It is pretty horrible air down there, one I'd be careful with if it were to fill up!

As for how it works, it is definitely a storage tank that aims to reduce overflow in the Medlock. When there is a high demand on the sewage system, the penstock closes and this storage chamber fills up until the demand on the sewage works is reduced at which point then penstock opens and it goes to the sewage works.

As for why there is 4 channels with individual penstocks I have no idea.....partly because I don't know the pipe arrangement at the other end. Perhaps each one heads for a different system....

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Which end were the PEnstocks? Was too misty to see how far they went

It was taken sometime on a summer afternoon....although how much the time of day affects it I have no idea but some sewers are less active during working hours....

It was misty when we were there too but not quite as much as your picture shows!

It is pretty horrible air down there, one I'd be careful with if it were to fill up!

As for how it works, it is definitely a storage tank that aims to reduce overflow in the Medlock. When there is a high demand on the sewage system, the penstock closes and this storage chamber fills up until the demand on the sewage works is reduced at which point then penstock opens and it goes to the sewage works.

As for why there is 4 channels with individual penstocks I have no idea.....partly because I don't know the pipe arrangement at the other end. Perhaps each one heads for a different system....