real time web analytics
Report - - Big Mill, Leek - May 2012 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Big Mill, Leek - May 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

raisinwing

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Big Mill in Mill Street was built in 1857 to the design of famous Victorian architect William Sugden, who was responsible for many of Leek's prominent buildings.
It was originally built for Lovatt and Goulding, but eventually became Wardle and Davenports. and was occupied from 1858 by Joseph Broster. It is 6 storeys high, 21 bays long, and 5 bays deep.

It was due to be developed into apartments like the surrounding Shade Mill etc, but the developer ran into financial trouble before work on the Big Mill could properly start. It will be interesting to see what becomes of the building in the future with rumours of it becoming a hotel, it would be nice to see it put to some sort of use!

I had been meaning to take a look into here for quite some time and when I noticed Camera Shy's recent report I decided to head on over. It's not the most inspiring location but definitely worth a look if your passing in my opinion. There isn't a great deal to see but a rather impressive building which has some nice features.

_DSC0142.jpg

_DSC0146.jpg

_DSC0151.jpg

_DSC0159.jpg
_DSC0163.jpg

_DSC0202.jpg
_DSC0204.jpg

_DSC0181.jpg

_DSC0167.jpg

_DSC0186.jpg

Thanks for looking :thumb