real time web analytics
Report - - Bighi Hospital, Kalkara, Malta. Aug .2012 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bighi Hospital, Kalkara, Malta. Aug .2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mon$ter

28DL Member
28DL Member
RNH BIGHI HOPSITAL

Hi guys,
first off i should note down that i felt that the original version was done in a hurry because it was 1.30AM, i was really anxious about posting the report, but was also in a hurry to rush into bed.. Which is the reason for this edit.
Bighi hospital was also known as RNH Bighi (Royal Naval Hospital Bighi), and is situated in the small "city" of Kalkara. Here in Malta, since the island is actually too small to have a city, any place with a lot of historical importance is named a city, which is why towns such as Mdina (the old capital) are cities. Prior to becoming a hospital the complex was just a private villa owned by Fra Giovanni Bichi in the year 1634. It was only in the year 1803 when the British acknowledged the many advantages the complex would have if it became a hospital for the royal navy.
environment_01_temp-1333609329-4f7d4371-620x348.jpg

Nowadays most of the buildings are being used as schools, mostly for studies in art and design, whilst the rest of the buildings are going to be used as a public science centre, used to attract younger people to the sciences. Therefore me and Cavehunter decided to take the opportunity and explore the few remains of the hospital just a bit under a month before the renovations where scheduled!

This is a picture of the main abandoned building that we explored.
f160fb70.jpg

The entrance to the first building
c0b73946.jpg

One of the many hallways. Unfortunately it couldn't be accessed since the entrance was blocked by a brick wall and we couldn't find another way in :/
50cd7d53.jpg

One of the many fireplaces we found in the complex.
905cc6d0.jpg

Moving up to the second floor. The sign is maltese for ' no one is allowed to enter the roof '
bfc6fca0.jpg

Just a couple of abandoned toilets
9b178c89.jpg

2f324284.jpg

After moving past a couple more empty rooms we find this amazing view of the Grand Harbour!!
0c336341.jpg

After totally exploring that building we proceeded to the next one, but soon discovered that there was no way in... until we found a small "man-hole" like structure...
f1261d3d.jpg

...but it turned out it led to nowhere really, just a long stretch around under the building. Its use isn't quite clear since no stairs leading up into the building could be located..
49e2093a.jpg

The only thing we did find down there ( besides cobwebs, dust, and what seemed to be roots) was a whole room filled with newspapers dating back to around March 2003
65d82bb2.jpg

Although there wasn't much we could see here besides old buildings, i thought it was a really nice explore. Please leave comments, and there will more reports to come in the near future :)

Last edited by a moderator: