real time web analytics
Billingtons Dance Hall - Oldham - November 2021 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Billingtons Dance Hall - Oldham - November 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

P J Collinge

28DL Member
28DL Member
I have recently become obsessed with photography either urban or derelict through my father in law, this is my first post so be nice, haha!!!!
I had walked past Billingtons many times and noticed it was derelict and one particular night when with my Dad, I asked him what it was, he told me it used to be a dance hall and it was where my Mum had her 18th Birthday party when he proposed to her 40 years ago. This got me doing some more research and I contacted the new owners to see if we could have access to take some shots and my Mum and Dad could share in the nostalgia. The owners were amazing and granted us access and told us all about their plans for the place, even letting us into the house attached to the building where Mrs Billington lived until she passed away.
Billingtons opened in 1934 when Nora and Albert Billington put their name above the door and was sold to Dennis and Brenda Massey in 1979. Even though the business had changed hands the well known name remained and through it's years it saw dancers young and old take to the 2 ballrooms as well as holding parties from weddings to birthdays to wedding anniversary's.
When we went inside so many of the fittings and features remained the same (including the 1970's wallpaper), the function room was exactly as it had been 40 years earlier when my Dad asked my Mum to marry him and they were able to recreate their photo from that evening!!!!!!! It was a great exploration finding New Year's Eve tickets from 1955, half penny's and old vinyl records.
The current owners plan to keep as many of the original features as possible as they convert the building into a dental surgery and exhibition centre, they were so welcoming and loved hearing my parents' story and have even invited them back for the grand reopening!!!
I hope you enjoy the pictures, give our instagram and Facebook a follow @urbex_lifethroughalens :D
Pete