real time web analytics
Report - - BIRKS MILL todmorden ,may 2015 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - BIRKS MILL todmorden ,may 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lancashire lad

chief taster for costa coffee
28DL Full Member
HISTORY
There is evidence that a mill existed here in 1799, and the close proximity to a source of water for powering the mill from the numerous hillside cloughs made it an ideal location for a mill to be built.

There was a datestone over the mill door. In 1917 it was on the ground in the yard waiting to be restored. The stone is engraved 1800 JSC (John & Sarah Crossley of Scaitcliffe Hall, the owners of the land on which it stands)
One of the first known owners was Edmund Kershaw of Henshaw who ran it as a carding and spinning mill. The cotton would be carded and spun into spools ready to be taken to the homes of outlying farms and the like, to be worked by hand to provide an extra source of income for the farming families.

William Greenwood took over the running of the mill from his father-in-law, Edmund Kershaw. William was an easy come easy go sort of chap and the money he was paid, which was one shilling per pound, for putting the cotton through this process, soon slipped through his fingers.

Thomas and Henry Lacy took over the mill and receive a mention in the accounts books of Jeremiah Jackson, machine maker, in 1815, at which time only Thomas is at the helm. They spun weft on commission for some of the larger farms in the area, which in turn was delivered to the hand weavers in the immediate vicinity of Walsden. There is another mention in Jeremiah Jackson's accounts books in 1833 when Thomas Lacy is still the main man.

After the Lacys, brothers Hamer and Abraham Crossley, who already had a factory at COPPERAS HOUSE making and printing carpets, took over. They concentrated on the spinning and manufacture of wool and worsted.

They erected a dash wheel in the clough at Birks, just above the dam, so that the pieces could be washed before being dried and finished at the mill and made ready for the market.

Today the mill stands empty and derelict with years of weathering and considering its age its no surprise to find out it was condemned and thus the reason it was never put back into use , now on the day this was my third and final target needless to say it was a bit of a bust no access was to be had although it did lead to another very private visit and much more enjoyable elsewhere although that's another story ...

any way theres still stuff to explore here its not a total was out I started round the back where the old water pipe draws water from the stream nice bit of woodland for all you nature boys and a little waterfall before the stream flows directly under the mill into a little culvert and out the back where the water wheel would of been .

In the main front yard there are some nice old E.R.L lorries and a 30s fiat coupe and a little farm machinery from the Jethro tull days lol any way some piks for ya
DSCF1568.JPG
DSCF1569.JPG
DSCF1573.JPG
View attachment 4222
DSCF1585.JPG
DSCF1587.JPG
DSCF1592.JPG
View attachment 4226
DSCF1596.JPG
DSCF1597.JPG
DSCF1603.JPG
DSCF1604.JPG
DSCF1605.JPG
DSCF1611.JPG
DSCF1616.JPG
DSCF1625.JPG
DSCF1586.JPG
DSCF1613.JPG
DSCF1615.JPG

Last edited:

Lancashire lad

28DL Full Member
@ACID- REFLUX @mattdonut sorry about the HDR I know its frowned upon I just wanted the detail in the cloud and couldn't find any other way of bringing it out :(@Speed cant get access just yet the mills been condemned and the guy who owns it is just waiting for another location to become available to store all the vehicles in there I have one of his workers on fb now and told him to give me a heads up when there emptying it ill nip over and give em a hand with my camera in hand;)

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
bringing out the detail done properly wont make us all want to tear our eyeballs out,dont mean to sound rude but its not very good hdr as it goes

Lancashire lad

28DL Full Member
bringing out the detail done properly wont make us all want to tear our eyeballs out,dont mean to sound rude but its not very good hdr as it goes
It's actually tone mapping almost here but not quite dint worry it won't be happening again sick of the shit tbh

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
It's actually tone mapping almost here but not quite dint worry it won't be happening again sick of the shit tbh

You must have been aware of the FAQ's when you joined up mate and the "we dont like hdr" type of thing..

Lancashire lad

28DL Full Member
You must have been aware of the FAQ's when you joined up mate and the "we dont like hdr" type of thing..
True Yeh didn't really think it would be such a sore subject more a piss take type subject no worries it won't happen again I promise

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
True Yeh didn't really think it would be such a sore subject more a piss take type subject no worries it won't happen again I promise

Oh you post hdr/tone mapping it will get remarked upon,unless it's that sublte/well done that no one notices..which has happened before

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Good effort but hideous processing, thing is it looks ok, any chance you could post the originals

Lancashire lad

28DL Full Member
It's only that image that has the hdr on it pal the rest are not hdr just sepia and a bit of added colour in some with vignette I don't have the original but I van edit it out when I get home on the laptop??

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
i see you have removed thre Hdarrhh,advice given already tho i agree with..over saturated PP tone it all done keep it natural thats how we wlike it