real time web analytics
Report - - Birkwood Asylum, Scotland - April 2014 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Birkwood Asylum, Scotland - April 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

PROJ3CTM4YH3M

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Birkwood Asylum dates from the 1860's and closed in 2002. The most attractive of the buildings and the feture of this report is the old Birkwood House which was constructed in 1819 and was a stately home until the 1860's when an additional wing was added and the Asylum established. Many additional buildings were added over the years within the grounds which are all now crumbing and falling apart while the old stone built stately home remains!

Supposedly haunted by some doctor who was killed by a patient in one of the pink coloured wards upstairs the site has become a frequently visited location for 'ghost hunters' infact we saw some on our first trip here but thankfully this time we had the place to ourselves.

Visited with non members Baron Scotland and Lowri, we mainly just went for the spiral staircase but I snapped a few other shots before we moved on to the next location. Currently developers are working on the building as part of a £50 million rennovation and I believe some new contractor lighting has been installed on the staircase. Anyways on with the photos!

BirkwoodAsylum-1.jpg

BirkwoodAsylum-2.jpg

BirkwoodAsylum-3.jpg

BirkwoodAsylum-4.jpg

BirkwoodAsylum-5.jpg

BirkwoodAsylum-6.jpg

BirkwoodAsylum-7.jpg

BirkwoodAsylum-8.jpg

BirkwoodAsylum-9.jpg

BirkwoodAsylum-10.jpg

BirkwoodAsylum-11.jpg

BirkwoodAsylum-12.jpg

BirkwoodAsylum-13.jpg

BirkwoodAsylum-14.jpg

BirkwoodAsylum-15.jpg

BirkwoodAsylum-16.jpg

BirkwoodAsylum-17.jpg

BirkwoodAsylum-18.jpg

BirkwoodAsylum-19.jpg

BirkwoodAsylum-20.jpg

Few more photos and high res copies of the ones above on my website: http://www.proj3ctm4yh3m.com/urbex/2014/06/15/urbex-asylum-b-somewhere-scotland-april-2014-revisit/

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Cracking photos, spiral stairs are stunning :thumb

Still need to revisit this place as I was boarded in last time and spent an hour avoiding contractors inside trying to find another way out!

PROJ3CTM4YH3M

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cracking photos, spiral stairs are stunning :thumb

Still need to revisit this place as I was boarded in last time and spent an hour avoiding contractors inside trying to find another way out!

I think the contractors are bang at it now but still worth poking your head in if you can assuming you're in the area.

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nicely shot :thumb I reckon if the renovation hadn't started it wouldn't have survived another winter - parts of it were pretty sketchy last summer.

Wonder what they did with all the patient correspondence that was strewn about the place...

PROJ3CTM4YH3M

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Very nice! 13 especially! :thumb

Ta mate :)

Cracking photos :thumb
Place looks beautiful and those stairs are awesome
Cheers for sharing

Its all bout those stairs :D soooo nice!

cheers!

Ace images and a great report :thumb

Thank you :D

Nicely shot :thumb I reckon if the renovation hadn't started it wouldn't have survived another winter - parts of it were pretty sketchy last summer.

Wonder what they did with all the patient correspondence that was strewn about the place...

Yeah some roof's were getting pretty sketchy but most the lead remained to my amazement! No idea what happened to the files! i know they filled the morgue full of rubbish to deter photographer im told!

Ohhhhhh love that spiral staircase!

Was really nice man! got contractor light all up it now if you havent seen updated images! kinda looks cool but not the same :/

pc95221

28DL Member
28DL Member
Cracking photos, would love to go get some myself. Whats the situation, can you just walk in or is it all locked up?