real time web analytics
Report - - Birkwood Castle, Lesmahagow - July 2019 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Birkwood Castle, Lesmahagow - July 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

rjbains

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Birkwood Castle is situated in Lesmahagow, South Lanarkshire, Scotland. It was first built within the 18th century. In 1920 it was purchased by the local authority for £10,000 to use as a hospital. In 1923, it opened as a "certified Institution for Mental Defectives". The hospital cared for boys and girls with learning disabilities and was one of the few psychiatric hospitals which dealt exclusively with children.
Following closure of the hospital, attempts have been made to redevelop the building with no success. Plans in 2009 aimed to transform the structure into a hotel but the developer went into liquidation before that happened. In January 2018, the castle was put up for sale after its owners went into administration. It is now a category B listed building.

The castle is claimed to be one of the most haunted places in the UK. The castle has allegedly been haunted by a cigar-smoking spirit and the ghost of a man stabbed through the throat. When paranormal experts filmed at the castle in 2013 they described the castle as "one of the most active locations they had ever filmed."

2019, sadly not a lot of this building is left standing, let alone to look at. A huge clamber up and down forrest to get to the grounds and huge CCTV cameras on poles doing a constant circle of the grounds. Tripped the sensor walking infront of the main doors before I could get inside, but from what I could see it was purely just scaffolding and decay not worth the effort. So much of it had been demolished I could only get decent photos from one angle. Wish I'd had caught this in its primetime.

There are other buildings just up on the old main road, theres a couple of blocks accessible if you dare brave the ladder and window entrance / exit but not much inside those other than cemented doorways and dust.

The best angle, in my opinion, without setting off the annoying tannoy.
IMG_9501.jpg

IMG_9502.jpg
IMG_9506.jpg
IMG_9507.jpg

IMG_9508.jpg

Not much of a hefty report, but I can say that its guarded with a well aimed security camera and one hell of an annoying alarm system. I wouldn't return back to the site as there really isn't a lot left.

Cheers again for looking though guys :)

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Never made it inside, despite trying a few times. Looks like there is nowt left to see now!

Thanks for the update.

rjbains

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Never made it inside, despite trying a few times. Looks like there is nowt left to see now!

Thanks for the update.

Thanks for the update.
same here, tried and failed twice- just tripped a huge spotlight and an alarm sound, looked pretty empty and sorry inside to be honest though!

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Agreed! Thanks for the comment man, your profile stuck out to me when I first joined the site- got a lot of location inspiration from you! So cheers :)

Cheers man. It's an inspirational site all round innit? Was certainly a game-changer for me when I joined.

Markdas

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looks like it was once a beautiful building.....at least you have some nice shots of whats left...

Feech

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
same here, tried and failed twice- just tripped a huge spotlight and an alarm sound, looked pretty empty and sorry inside to be honest though!
Same happened to me this morning. I’ve heard it’s due to be totally
Demolished which is really
Sad.

Creakyfloorboard-18-

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi all, sorry to rehash an old thread but took a walk to Birkwood and its still standing. No sign of security either and entry into the building itself is easy. Not much inside but a shell but looks like work has been done on the inside support structures recently.

birkwood.jpg

birkwood2.jpg

PEUK

@teampeuk
28DL Full Member
Hi all, sorry to rehash an old thread but took a walk to Birkwood and its still standing. No sign of security either and entry into the building itself is easy. Not much inside but a shell but looks like work has been done on the inside support structures recently.

birkwood.jpg

birkwood2.jpg
Great! I've never been so I'll need to pay a visit shortly.

Who has read this thread (Total: 265) View details