real time web analytics
Birmingham Central Methodist Hall - Birmingham - September 2018 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Birmingham Central Methodist Hall - Birmingham - September 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

RichPDG

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History:
The Methodist Central Hall, 196-224 Corporation Street, Birmingham, England, is a three storey red brick and terracotta Grade II* listed building with a distinctive tower at the northern end of Corporation Street. The design complements the Victoria Law Courts opposite, also in terracotta and includes eclectic details such as the corner turrets resembling Indian chattris. It is located within the Steelhouse Conservation Area. The terracotta was manufactured by the renowned firm of Gibbs and Canning Limited of Tamworth, which also produced decorative works for 179-203 Corporation Street and the interior of the Victoria Law Courts in Birmingham and the Natural History Museum in London. It was built 1903-4 by architects Ewan Harper & James A. Harper. The main hall seated 2,000 and it had over thirty other rooms including three school halls. It cost £96,165. he street level has twelve bays of shops (four with their original fronts). The building also runs along Ryder Street and has more original shop fronts. n 1991, the Methodist Church was converted into a nightclub; however, since its closure in 2002, the building fell empty and was poorly maintained. Currently it is only partially in use and its deteriorating condition has led to it being listed on Historic England's Heritage at Risk register. The building has been the subject of various proposals for conversion to apartments and offices In 2018 Birmingham City Council approved plans to restore and renovate the building including a 147 bed hotel.

Explore:
Visited here with Matt Donut and @Goldie87 on our way to another site.

View attachment

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Some cool shots there mate. I like the design of the place, it has character :thumb

Nismo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
superb photos, its a beautiful building, ive allways wanted to see inside

dannypanic

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Wanted to see inside of here for years, thank you! It's a beautiful building, shame the area it's in is a bit of a shit hole. I really hope they manage to do something with it, buildings just arent made like that anymore. Nice work!

Unknown Pleasures

28DL Member
28DL Member
Wanted to see inside of here for years, thank you! It's a beautiful building, shame the area it's in is a bit of a shit hole. I really hope they manage to do something with it, buildings just arent made like that anymore. Nice work!

Not sure I agree with the area being a shithole.

But great pictures of this old venue, remember having some really good times here in the late 90's to 2005 ish when it was Q-Club.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
If that part of Birmingham is a shithole then god knows what the really bad bits are like.

Who has read this thread (Total: 375) View details