Web
Analytics
Question - - Birmingham former canel | Leads, Rumours and News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Birmingham former canel

salinium

DerelicDogs
28DL Full Member
This is by the new shops, near the access job centre in selly oak park, it's very small but deep water and it's all that's left of the old selly oak canel, it may have some old stuff in there and parts of the water is very clear.
You can enter through either side and it's used as a bridge now, but underneath is the canel, it's very safe if you have good balance and a very nice place to hang out at, no one seems to have been here, it's secluded and easy passage ways leading up to Frankie and Benny's, this is beside the scout club house.

Attachments

Wappy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
maybe use a tripod next time just to get the right angles etc whos are the feet ?

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
Regular User
From your description it's part of the old Birmingham Canal just before it joined with the Worcester and Birmingham canal. I think it only went as far West as the old (California?) brick and tile works.

Does it carry on any further to the East, towards the other canal or is it filled in? If it does yourself down with a torch, I'd like to see more photos!

salinium

DerelicDogs
28DL Full Member
From your description it's part of the old Birmingham Canal just before it joined with the Worcester and Birmingham canal. I think it only went as far West as the old (California?) brick and tile works.

Does it carry on any further to the East, towards the other canal or is it filled in? If it does yourself down with a torch, I'd like to see more photos!
It doesn't join to anything, it's tucked hidden under a bridge, it was and did used to be the old canel running down the back through weoley castle

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
Regular User
Walking round the back of the houses on the path just on Botetourt road, you can see some brick work
I think that's the Bourne Brook not the canal. The brook disappears into a culvert right along side that single bar gate. The brook used to feed the castle moat but looks like it got culverted at some point. It's possible it joins with the StoneHouse Brook at the back of the houses on Brinklow Road but I'm not sure.

salinium

DerelicDogs
28DL Full Member
I think that's the Bourne Brook not the canal. The brook disappears into a culvert right along side that single bar gate. The brook used to feed the castle moat but looks like it got culverted at some point. It's possible it joins with the StoneHouse Brook at the back of the houses on Brinklow Road but I'm not sure.
I'm not sure

westernsultan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
i'm not sure about this. I've marked the Job Centre in Selly Oak with the Worcester & birminhham Canal to the East and the Bourn Brook to the north and there appears to be another water course which cold be the remains of the old canal