Web
Analytics
Question - - Birmingham former canel | Leads, Rumours and News... | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Birmingham former canel

jayjayjjetplane

28DL Member
28DL Member
Howdy. The canal spur under the bridge is the end of the Dudley no.2 canal that ran between Netherton via the Lapal Tunnel in the Black Country to Selly Oak. It closed in 1953 and much of it was filled in (the Lapal Tunnel collapsed in 1917 and is no longer accessible). A short section of canal was partially excavated as a wildlife area by Harborne Lane Bridge adjacent to Selly Oak Park (near where you were standing under the bridge). The route of the canal can be walked around Selly Oak park and beyond at the backs of houses up to Weoley Castle, by where the old California Brickworks used to be - now the site of Asda on Barnes Hill. It's a bit sad, overgrown and lots of flytipping. On the bright side, the Lapal Canal restoration trust have planning permission to restore the Selly Oak end of the canal, from behind the Battery Park shopping site, beneath the new Sainsburys (the tunnel has already been built as part of the site) and then across to Harborne Bridge (where you were standing in the picture). The canal trust are currently raising money to fund this building works which will include a winding hole (a turning circle for barges) and swing bridge on the Worcester Canal, by the new Unite Halls of Residence. This will allow barges to turn onto the restored canal, go under Sainsburys, across the Battery Park site, under Harborne Lane and then through to Selly Oak Park. Eventually it's hoped a new canal marina will be dug at Barnes Hill, but at the moment I think the canal will just terminate there with permanent moorings.
If you want any more info about the canal I've attached a link to the Trust page. Be well :-) https://www.lapalcanal.co.uk/

salinium

DerelicDogs
28DL Full Member
Howdy. The canal spur under the bridge is the end of the Dudley no.2 canal that ran between Netherton via the Lapal Tunnel in the Black Country to Selly Oak. It closed in 1953 and much of it was filled in (the Lapal Tunnel collapsed in 1917 and is no longer accessible). A short section of canal was partially excavated as a wildlife area by Harborne Lane Bridge adjacent to Selly Oak Park (near where you were standing under the bridge). The route of the canal can be walked around Selly Oak park and beyond at the backs of houses up to Weoley Castle, by where the old California Brickworks used to be - now the site of Asda on Barnes Hill. It's a bit sad, overgrown and lots of flytipping. On the bright side, the Lapal Canal restoration trust have planning permission to restore the Selly Oak end of the canal, from behind the Battery Park shopping site, beneath the new Sainsburys (the tunnel has already been built as part of the site) and then across to Harborne Bridge (where you were standing in the picture). The canal trust are currently raising money to fund this building works which will include a winding hole (a turning circle for barges) and swing bridge on the Worcester Canal, by the new Unite Halls of Residence. This will allow barges to turn onto the restored canal, go under Sainsburys, across the Battery Park site, under Harborne Lane and then through to Selly Oak Park. Eventually it's hoped a new canal marina will be dug at Barnes Hill, but at the moment I think the canal will just terminate there with permanent moorings.
If you want any more info about the canal I've attached a link to the Trust page. Be well :-) https://www.lapalcanal.co.uk/
Than you, sorry for the long reply, this is useful information, me and my bestfriend went and she had no idea, but instantly knew because it ran through