real time web analytics
General - - Birnbeck pier | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Timpro_

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This pier has a lot of history so I'll try to keep it simple. It opened on the 5th of June 1867. Improvements were made and things like trams, life boat houses and jetty were added. There was a fire in 1897 which damaged the main building. A new pavilion and low water jetty was build a couple of years later. In 1903, the pier was closed after a gale damaged both jetties. The north jetty was rebuilt and re-opened in 1904 but the low-water jetty remained closed until 1910 and lasted until 1932.

The opening of the Grand Pier’s funfair caused the abandonment of Birnbeck Island amusements in 1933. The Admiralty took over the pier from 1941 to 1946 when it became known as ‘HMS Birnbeck’. P&A Campbell ran the pier from 1962-1972, selling it to John Critchley a year after regular passenger steamer services ceased to call.

In 1989, ownership passed to Phil Stubbs who planned to restore the pier. But, by 1992, the pier was closed (other than for anglers) with financial problems having caused the abandonment of redevelopment plans.

In 1999, the lifeboat station installed a walkway across the pier to allow them safe access to the island, at a cost of £20,000.

Since then the pier has had many owners, CNM estates being the current owner. Unfortunately it has been left derelict as no solution was reached to develop this grade 2 listed building.

20210213_162123.jpg

20210213_162055.jpg

Timpro_

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I should have wrote when they were taken! We went down just before first lockdown in march

Timpro_

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nooo!! the tide was up too.. will go back but calculated when its low tide and get a video

Bristol-Wanderer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I’m sure more than once the coast guard has had to rescue people from here, I wouldn’t fancy chancing it myself lol! I can’t swim either so fcuk that! Haha

Bristol-Wanderer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It looked even worse when I passed it before Christmas.

I’d personally suggest staying away from going out to it now, it’s absolutely rotten and a death trap. The RNLI don’t need another call out here that’s for sure

2nd that! If you want to see it close up fly a drone out there I wouldn’t chance it either slicing with death I recon

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
2nd that! If you want to see it close up fly a drone out there I wouldn’t chance it either slicing with death I recon

There really isn't a lot to see either, half the buildings have collapsed. I think there is maybe a lonely piano somewhere and about 5% remains of an old organ and that's about all that's worth a photo.

You've also got the eagle eyed locals overlooking it who grass you up the minute you walk out to it most of the time.

Timpro_

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ahh good points.. thanks for the advice! This one will have to be a miss then

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Ahh good points.. thanks for the advice! This one will have to be a miss then

Walk over to the island by all means (just watch the tide as you can easily get cut off.. so go when its an hour before low tide!) - its just a lot of the pier is beyond sketchy now. Don't want to see you or anyone else hurt really.

Who has read this thread (Total: 256) View details