real time web analytics
Report - - Bixhead Stone Quarry - May 2012 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bixhead Stone Quarry - May 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Explored with Spungletrumpet, Speed and Dweeb.

After a night on the cider at Spungles, and a walk through the meadows in the morning, it was time we headed out to the forest to see something, this place as it happens.

A large stone mine, in a large stone quarry. The size of the chambers was much larger than your average Wiltshire mine, quite impressive.

Sorry, can't find any history on the place.

DSC_4145.jpg

DSC_4146.jpg

DSC_4147.jpg

DSC_4148.jpg

DSC_4149.jpg

DSC_4151.jpg

DSC_4157.jpg

DSC_4160.jpg

DSC_4163.jpg

DSC_4168.jpg

DSC_4170.jpg

DSC_4171.jpg

canute

货车司机和国王
28DL Full Member
That is pretty big - very nice :cool: Looks like the Forest of Dean doesn't just do coal

incywincy

28DL Member
28DL Member
Wow this place is impressive, I bet the acoustics could rival any concert hall too! Definately gonna have to do some road-trippin' this summer; not a lot of great underground sites up 'wor way'.

Degenatron

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice pictures. It looks like an interesting explore. You could even do some boating down there.

kevsy21

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Well captured and really well lit up,it looks massive.Great work gents for doing this place.

Hazy

Banned
Banned
"Can't find any history on the place....."

You know what might be really useful ? Some sort of global electronic network that allows you to use a free indexing service to - almost instantly - search for information by doing nothing more complicated than entering search terms such as "Bixhead" ? :rolleyes:

http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.asp That's the English Heritage description of the quarries.

And

http://www.gsia.org.uk/reprints/1987/gi198717.pdf

Which is a .pdf of a document that looks like it was written by a local history buff in 1987.

To be fair, there's not that much info (but then I only spent two minutes looking !) Short version : They're post medieval, though there has been quarrying in the area since at least the 15th Century. Eastnor Castle is probably built of stone from here.