real time web analytics
Report - - Black Barn Colliery - July 2015 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Black Barn Colliery - July 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

D4RK

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Black Barn Colliery
25/07/2015

Someway or another we ended up in Abertillery, I knew Black Barn was close by so we popped in and had a wander, after a small hike, a couple of stingy nettles in my leg and a few jumped fences we reached the site, this is what I captured.

A view looking onto the mine site from the now blocked off road.
5v9h0k.jpg

Looking at the belt drift from an angle.
5vokyo.jpg

A view of whats left of the belt drift.
208vclw.jpg

A view of the filled in 'Tea Cabin?'
2q0j3go.jpg

A view into the cabin from on top of the muck heap.
1zgx9bl.jpg

A shot of an old first aid stretcher outside the cabin still with the wheels intact.
2ywh9ft.jpg

A shot of the old dram 'tippler/unloader'?
2qwn8yx.jpg

A shot looking down the dram tippler towards the blocked up main haulage drift.
qq23qx.jpg

A close up of the blocked haulage drift / main roadway.
2qvca4y.jpg

A shot of a fence off area, can you notice the camoflagued shovel? :D
rs50di.jpg

That was my exploration to the Black Barn Colliery, bit of a bumber that we couldn't go underground but it was still a great explore. It's nice photographing a past industry.

-------LOCATION--------

Latitude: 51.6999
Longitude: -3.09965
Landranger grid reference: SO241007
Easting: 324100
Northing: 200700
------------------------------

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi the usual first post would be an introduction in the New Members section before a post but welcome :)

When doing reports you just need the Month & Year of visit, not the actual date for obvious reasons when visiting sites ( not this one probably ) Also you should have noticed by reading all those other reports on here that we add some history of the place, as not everyone knows about the place & it can enhance your report :)

D4RK

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi the usual first post would be an introduction in the New Members section before a post but welcome :)

When doing reports you just need the Month & Year of visit, not the actual date for obvious reasons when visiting sites ( not this one probably ) Also you should have noticed by reading all those other reports on here that we add some history of the place, as not everyone knows about the place & it can enhance your report :)

Thanks for the Reply,

Just saying I really couldn't find any history on this mine although if I did find some history I would update the post.

Thank you,
D4RK

The Franconian

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
nice, I like that since I did a visit not far from there two years ago. Interesting area, hope I can get back some day. thanks

D4RK

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The Franconian,

Yes Black Barn and the area surrounding it is great landscape and very picturesc, although I have to admit it was a bit of a bumber as we hauled our oldham lamps down to this mine just to find out that we couldn't go underground -_-. anyway it was a nice day, not disapointing at all and I would recommend you to visit.

Thank you,
D4RK

caiman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I went underground at Pantygasseg, which is very close, also in the canyon and also worked the Mynyddisslwyn. A long time ago, 1982. Major surprise was meeting a horse underground - it became the UK's last pit pony.

That whole area around Black Barn is interesting. It was a WW2 opencast that worked to the limit of the machinery and was then abandoned. One side of the canyon is the exposed highwall, the other side is dumped waste from the 1940s.

Tomw1989

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I went underground at Pantygasseg, which is very close, also in the canyon and also worked the Mynyddisslwyn. A long time ago, 1982. Major surprise was meeting a horse underground - it became the UK's last pit pony.

That whole area around Black Barn is interesting. It was a WW2 opencast that worked to the limit of the machinery and was then abandoned. One side of the canyon is the exposed highwall, the other side is dumped waste from the 1940s.

I know of 2 openings to possible mines in the Canyons, they're pretty dodgy but look fun nonetheless. If you're up this way again let me know :)