Report - - Black Barn Colliery, South Wales, May. | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Black Barn Colliery, South Wales, May.


Explorational Urbanite
28DL Full Member
Visited with: vwdirtboy, sheep2405 and magnet monkey a.k.a. ooppps.

The information in this report was collected by vw and sheep. Thanks lads.

Black Barn worked under a British Coal licence granted to Jones and Hillard until 30/04/95.
This licence was replaced by a Coal Authority licence that was granted on 17/08/95 but the mine hardly worked any coal after that time. The licence was assigned to GPN Mining (now Thomas; Croft Mining Ltd) in August 2000 and has only worked coal intermittently since then.

Information on the early years of Black Barn Colliery is extremely scarce, Black Barn drifts were probably Part of the Tirpentws, Ty Gwyn and Blaen-y-cwm Collieries in the Cwm-ffrwd-oer valley near Pantygasseg in South Wales.

Black Barn Colliery is a small mine worked from around 1850 all the way up to the mid 1990's finally closing in 1994.. During the early years and up to the middle of this century the upper leaf of the Mynyddislwyn seam was worked until near exhaustion which was of the 'house coal' type with a seam thickness of some 4ft.Since the 1950's the lower leaf of the Mynyddislwyn seam was worked heavily. The mine was worked again from 2000 to 2008. Then on a somewhat sporadic basis seeming to be mothballed every few years or so.

As you walk into the mine, the shoring is very stable, its mainly made up from steel rail track apart from a off chute tunnel to the right about 50 yards in which is made all from tree trunks. The entire first tunnel that goes on for about 100 yards is made up from coal, the walls and ceiling are as black as can be but then changes in composition as you progress further, the two tunnels that we explored go in about 200 yards then slowly drop off into the lower mine, unfortunately they are both flooded. The two tunnels are connected by a slightly fooded but walkable tunnel. The average height in the tunnels is about six to eight foot, and I would say the width about the same.

There is tracks running in both tunnels with winding gear all the way along the tracks to keep the trucks on course.