Web
Analytics
Report - - Black Potts Island, Berkshire (June 2019) | Residential Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Black Potts Island, Berkshire (June 2019)

Neurox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The History

Black Potts Island is a triangular 2.8 acre island that sits at the split between the River Thames and the Jubilee River, just outside of Windsor. The island was once a favourite fishing spot for Charles II and nobility and since 1850 has been home to the viaduct that carries the Staines to Windsor railway line across the rivers.

The house on the island, "Black Potts" was built in the 19th century and was once home to Sir Basil Clarke, who set up the UK's first public relations agency. Due to its location, the site is set to flood once every hundred or so, with the most recent flood occurring in 2014. The house has been unoccupied since then and is set to soon be bulldozed and replaced with a modernist, glass-walled house.

The Explore

With the island location, the explore was different to anywhere I've explored before. I hadn't heard of any explorers visiting here previously, so was a bit nervous walking across the bridge to the island and up to the main gates, especially considering the signs warning of guard dogs and the grounds and house itself looking well-maintained. Once past the gate, it turned out to be a relaxed and very peaceful explore, with the only noise being the occasional rumble of the train and the engines of the boats heading up and down the river.

Unfortunately there was no access to the house, with any broken windows nailed shut and the back door boarded. It was quite a bit smaller than I'd expected, so a peek through the windows meant I didn't miss out on much. Due to it being hidden from the road and mainly visible from the river, there was very little vandalism in general though, which was nice to see. The rest of the island and the boathouse were both great. The creeping vines in the boathouse looked amazing and it was quite surreal to be just a few metres from the people boating on the river, who were unaware that we were there.

All in all a really refreshing and fun explore - also despite lurking for a long time and joining a while back, this is my first report here so please be gentle! Any tips etc. are appreciated

The Photos

IMG_20190622_224844_841.jpg

IMG_20190622_224844_842.jpg

IMG_20190622_224844_840.jpg

The shed

IMG_20190622_224844_844.jpg

View attachment 811831

A peek through the window...

20190622152831_IMG_0909.jpg

The boathouse

IMG_20190622_224844_918.jpg

20190622141636_IMG_0799.jpg

IMG_20190622_224844_910.jpg

IMG_20190625_135923_582.jpg

IMG_20190622_224844_916.jpg

IMG_20190626_211240_363.jpg

Boat.jpg

A bit of fun with some glowsticks...

Glow.jpg

Thanks for reading!

The Explorer Returns

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looks pretty cool that, anyone else think pic 5 (fire place shot) the markings on the back wall of the fire place looks like a cat staring at the camera ? Lol

Neurox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That's really pretty, might have a gander
Yeah it's beautiful, it would be a great place to live.

Probably best to go sooner rather than later if you're planning on it, the boathouse has only had a reprieve from demolition because the bat survey expired a few months back!

glub

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This was posted less than a week ago and since it has already been broken into and had multiple windows smashed. 28 days has it's good and bad points.

Place is still in pretty good condition for being abandoned so long still seems somewhat liveable. Saw some books in the basement for Charles the 2nd.

Does anyone know how much it sold for?

Neurox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This was posted less than a week ago and since it has already been broken into and had multiple windows smashed. 28 days has it's good and bad points.

Place is still in pretty good condition for being abandoned so long still seems somewhat liveable. Saw some books in the basement for Charles the 2nd.

Does anyone know how much it sold for?
Really? It was a bit smashed up already and set for demolition but that's a shame.

It sold for £1.85 million

Ellabenson

28DL Member
28DL Member
Well thank you detective for doing some brilliant break in work. I know the owners of this land have spent a fair amount in attempts to stop ‘explorers’ from trespassing. Thank you for encouraging the break ins, vandals and fly tippers.

Giymo85

Amateur and proud
28DL Full Member
Well thank you detective for doing some brilliant break in work. I know the owners of this land have spent a fair amount in attempts to stop ‘explorers’ from trespassing. Thank you for encouraging the break ins, vandals and fly tippers.
By resurrecting this thread with your daft comment all you've done is shove it right back to the top of the section.

Well done for giving it fresh prominence for anyone who hadn't seen it the first time around.

puma

28DL Member
28DL Member
So true it was gone and forgotten but now hot topic for anyone who did not see it first time

Neurox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Apologies it this thread made it worse but an island on the Thames is hardly the most secure or secret of places!

It has sat there neglected for years with visibly broken windows and doors and is set to be demolished (information in the public domain already if people care to look), so I doubt a few pictures on a photography forum is really what attracts all the local ruffians.

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Wow Ella Benson must have searched a lot of reports to find this and bump it. Nows its going to get more attention, and you blame 28dl wow!! When a land owner or friend comes on and revives an older thread, all it does is create newer interest in the place. If you just kept stum as the OP stated the place was sealed!!