Web
Analytics
Report - - Blackborough House, Devon, July 2018 | Residential Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Blackborough House, Devon, July 2018

JackOsgood

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The beautiful Blackborough House located in the small hamlet of Blackborough. It was built between the early to mid 1800's and is a Grade 2 listed country house. It is currently labelled as a semi-derelict but I can confirm that it is way worse than "Semi-Derelict" The floors are collapsing or already collapsed, when standing on the floors they sink down badly and they will collapse so if you decide to visit this building please be extremely careful where you stand on the higher floors.

The house is located on a 10 acre bit of land and the house has 60 Bedrooms. The land was used as a scrapyard / Car spare parts business and had hundreds of cars on the site until they were sold at auction last year. Only a few cars remain on the site. The new owners of the property have requested planning permission this year to convert it to a 64 Bedroom hotel and spa. They want to completely restore the building to its former glory. Hopefully, this is successful as the building is beautiful.

There is an expensive caravan located around the front of the building and it does look like it is in use. There is also a new house built on the land which is in use and warns people to stay away from it. I expect these people patrol the site. especially as the caravan is located within the fencing of the building. Access is not hard for the building. but from what I know access changes a lot, as they try to stop people from entering frequently.

The images I have posted are not in full quality as the files were too large to upload so if you want to see them in full resolution I will be posting the good ones on my instagram. If you Private message me I can send you a link if you're interested. Thanks

John Butler

Banned
Banned
Glad to see you like our house. The little shelter round the back by the blue container, our son built. Your photos do make the place look creepy. The more we are clearing outside the more light is getting in so it's looking much brighter inside now compared to back in May when we started. Most of the rooms have now been emptied of all furniture. All good china and glass has been removed as previous 'explorers' had caused much damage to house contents. The floors, it was good of you to mention. Even the ground floor is not 'on the ground'. All ground floors, wood, slate, stone, are raised up on bricks. The void below ground floors is around 8 bricks high which is around 24 inches. So not even the ground floors are safe to walk on. Most ceilings are falling down and most upper floors are rotten, boards and beams. The house is not open to viewing. The owner has told us not to let anyone in. The caravan in the front belongs to the house owner.... My wife and I are local and are at the house at least 3 days a week. I suppose we are caretakers. We are not actually restoring it as permission has not yet been granted, but we are removing the under/over growth, removing all scrap metal and other 'rubbish', and generally trying to make it more presentable. Whilst i can understand people's interest in the house it is not helping when people break in. The house is secured, has a ring fence, has a lock on the front door, many other doors are nailed shut. Yes it is slightly derelict, but it is not abandoned. It has an owner that is waiting for permission to move forward with his plans to restore it. The house on the adjoining land used to be the stables of Blackborough house. It seems that it was not part of the 'Listed building' when the main house became Listed. That small house is lived in full time. They have 3 dogs which bark at the slightest sound.... In fairness, the lane from the church yard down to the house, is a public footpath. That footpath continues past the side of the main house. So the main house will be on your left and the small house will be on your right. The foot path continues and you will see a large gate with big wheels in which is part of the main. That is private property but the footpath runs to the right of that big gate, through a field. There is no problem with anyone taking photos of the house from the footpath. However anyone entering the grounds of the main house or the small house can expect to be shot :)

UrbandonedTeam

the north
Regular User
Glad to see you like our house. The little shelter round the back by the blue container, our son built. Your photos do make the place look creepy. The more we are clearing outside the more light is getting in so it's looking much brighter inside now compared to back in May when we started. Most of the rooms have now been emptied of all furniture. All good china and glass has been removed as previous 'explorers' had caused much damage to house contents. The floors, it was good of you to mention. Even the ground floor is not 'on the ground'. All ground floors, wood, slate, stone, are raised up on bricks. The void below ground floors is around 8 bricks high which is around 24 inches. So not even the ground floors are safe to walk on. Most ceilings are falling down and most upper floors are rotten, boards and beams. The house is not open to viewing. The owner has told us not to let anyone in. The caravan in the front belongs to the house owner.... My wife and I are local and are at the house at least 3 days a week. I suppose we are caretakers. We are not actually restoring it as permission has not yet been granted, but we are removing the under/over growth, removing all scrap metal and other 'rubbish', and generally trying to make it more presentable. Whilst i can understand people's interest in the house it is not helping when people break in. The house is secured, has a ring fence, has a lock on the front door, many other doors are nailed shut. Yes it is slightly derelict, but it is not abandoned. It has an owner that is waiting for permission to move forward with his plans to restore it. The house on the adjoining land used to be the stables of Blackborough house. It seems that it was not part of the 'Listed building' when the main house became Listed. That small house is lived in full time. They have 3 dogs which bark at the slightest sound.... In fairness, the lane from the church yard down to the house, is a public footpath. That footpath continues past the side of the main house. So the main house will be on your left and the small house will be on your right. The foot path continues and you will see a large gate with big wheels in which is part of the main. That is private property but the footpath runs to the right of that big gate, through a field. There is no problem with anyone taking photos of the house from the footpath. However anyone entering the grounds of the main house or the small house can expect to be shot :)
Slightly derelict but not abandoned doesn't add up to me

John Butler

Banned
Banned
The building has a new owner, therefore it is not abandoned. However the new owner cannot start repair work until he gets permission from some 'official body'. When the owner gets permission he will then have to get approval for the materials he wishes to use as they have to be of a type that match the original building. The owner is also facing problems from the local community because the owner, Martin Crane, wishes to add to the original building with the intention of using the house as a hotel. So, the position is, the house is owned, we are clearing and cleaning it up, doing work that is allowed, but construction cannot start as yet. The house is ring fenced with new security fencing. An abandoned property would not have new fencing around it. The house has an new lock on the front door , ditto. The house is being working in and around, ditto. But the house is still derelict as repair / construction cannot start yet. Hence a lot of the roof still leaks badly, the ceilings and floors are in a dangerous state and some inner walls are crumbling down in places.

Adzitude

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
OTE="John Butler, post: 1209402, member: 117160"]The building has a new owner, therefore it is not abandoned. However the new owner cannot start repair work until he gets permission from some 'official body'. When the owner gets permission he will then have to get approval for the materials he wishes to use as they have to be of a type that match the original building. The owner is also facing problems from the local community because the owner, Martin Crane, wishes to add to the original building with the intention of using the house as a hotel. So, the position is, the house is owned, we are clearing and cleaning it up, doing work that is allowed, but construction cannot start as yet. The house is ring fenced with new security fencing. An abandoned property would not have new fencing around it. The house has an new lock on the front door , ditto. The house is being working in and around, ditto. But the house is still derelict as repair / construction cannot start yet. Hence a lot of the roof still leaks badly, the ceilings and floors are in a dangerous state and some inner walls are crumbling down in places.[/QUOTE]

This is a good thread, are you an urbexer?

John Butler

Banned
Banned
Urbexer has many meanings. I go out looking for abandoned vehicles in woodlands and desolate places. I look around genuine abandoned buildings that don't have ring fences or signs of keep out / security. I don't trespass where there is obvious signs that a place has a caring owner or has modern fencing. My exploring is not organised, i don't plan missions. I go out for a drive as I love driving, and if something interesting turns up then i investigate it. But I'm more interested in mechanical things than buildings.