real time web analytics
Report - - blackburn brook 2 sheffield july 2020 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - blackburn brook 2 sheffield july 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Still on with the blackburn brook theme i had some photos from last year and a couple of other sections i dont think have been covered on here before looked interesting so decided to check them out , So in order from upstream to downstream ive put them in order thats not how they were explored but will keep things more simple.

the concrete underpass under station road chapeltown

just coming out next pic looking back up

these were older pics from last year , looking on maps and doing a bit of leg work there were one or 2 other bits that looked promising some smaller bits were not worth bothering with so the next culverted section was a far bit down river near Ecclesfield were the river runs underneath an engineering firm got this done late sunday afternoon even then there were people on site and i was detected by a staffy bull terrier lucky for me he was friendly and diddnt bark lol as again pics from upstream down although thats not how access was gained

concrete shuttering marks and the doomed roof reminded me of an igloo ! lol

coming out of the first section the culvert turned 90% in the open air before widening these 2 pipes were about 1100mm in diameter had a crawl up both

both pipes were heading in the same direction and both reduced in size with a smaller pipe inserted in to the larger downstream one these 2 pipes pick up the water from Ecclesfield park diddnt go any further , back to the main culvert looking downstream

looking back upstream

wandering downstream start of the next culverted section

a few girders in this fist bit

and out , the next section is a fair bit on a brick lined culvert near the old Arthur lees steel mill

the start point looking downstream needed the chest waders for this as it was quite deep in places

the water was still almost like a mill pond

having gone allway through i snapped a pic of the downstream portal , i walked the rest from here on to the river Don at meadowhall but will have to put another report up for that as theres a few pics to post moving on downstream again

the next part went under the old Arthur lees steel plant

some sort of old sluice gate it was as much of a ramble and climb as a drain explore

concrete bridge

then the bridges at the bottom of Wincobank will wrap it up here for now thanks for watching :thumb

Last edited:

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
I’ve only done some bits of that section, good to see the rest. Interested to see the final short bit to the don when you post that - went down part of it a while back but breached my leg waders and never went back with my chest ones (too cold at the time!) but there was some enticing noise before it got to the river!

Esoteric Eric

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thought I'd done the lot but I don't recognise some of those last few bits here. I went in the outfall end from under the rail bridge next to the works, so may have missed a bit in between. I didn't go right to the end either as there was a lot of gas kicking up from rot underfoot at the time. Look forward to seeing the end.

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thought I'd done the lot but I don't recognise some of those last few bits here. I went in the outfall end from under the rail bridge next to the works, so may have missed a bit in between. I didn't go right to the end either as there was a lot of gas kicking up from rot underfoot at the time. Look forward to seeing the end.
its of butterthwaite lane just under the bridge

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice this, shame all that rubbish has piled up. look forward to the next instalment of this. Now this looks like one I could maybe do. :thumb

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
cheers Jane yeah not to extreme the brick tunnel got a bit deep in places but you were never totally in the dark
May have to give you a call and maybe a visit here, I would like to do one, but not on my own, and a smaller one. As wevs quite rightly says I may not be able to stomach the smell. But this looks like it could be a starter for me lol.

NuBoid

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
looks like you had a nice little mooch there jezzyboo
Lots to do in sheff.... had a look at what i think is the entrance to megatron t'other day on my break at work....was so inviting
Just out of interest and wondering if you know anything of this........ on the exit out of Tankersley tunnel on the train to Sheff if you look left there is a round brick pipe, looks like a 6footer down in the bottom of the woods....have you had a sniff up this one ????

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
looks like you had a nice little mooch there jezzyboo
Lots to do in sheff.... had a look at what i think is the entrance to megatron t'other day on my break at work....was so inviting
Just out of interest and wondering if you know anything of this........ on the exit out of Tankersley tunnel on the train to Sheff if you look left there is a round brick pipe, looks like a 6footer down in the bottom of the woods....have you had a sniff up this one ????
yes have done megatron all the way back up to endciffe park its was a few years back now before i was a member on here and only got crappy pics so never bothered posting a report , the round brick pipe you mentioned is covered on my blackburn brook ( dark and long ) post the train went past as i was coming out of that brick pipe :D

NuBoid

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
yes have done megatron all the way back up to endciffe park its was a few years back now before i was a member on here and only got crappy pics so never bothered posting a report , the round brick pipe you mentioned is covered on my blackburn brook ( dark and long ) post the train went past as i was coming out of that brick pipe :D

Ah yes...please accept my apologies on this..only just looked at the said report moments after I had posted the question....nice report that too ....there is a good mix in sheff, .cant speak from experience tho but aim to to do a few trips there soon ....always nice to see some ancient brick and stone after miles of CBS. Did a local culvert recently (report coming soon) which looked really promising at the start only to find was a bit dull...was hoping for a big cso sidepipe somewhere along the way but alas no freshflow in sight.
Seems like I like to follow the filth !!!!! wonder if I have some sort of disorder I may need help with ha ha