real time web analytics
Report - - blackburn brook ( dark and long ) sheffield | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - blackburn brook ( dark and long ) sheffield

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
With the weather being dry and mild i wanted to get out and do something ,after trying ( and failing ) to make any further progress with isolation this was my sort of plan B i had read reports before on here but haddnt really thought i would be doing it today so was more of a nosy come full explore if you get my drift . A real mish mash of old and new and a lot of variation to suit all tastes the brook has been in use for years to power mills and industry and once formed the boundary between sheffield and rotherham before the brook was made straighter to flow alongside the new railway , having a rough location i set of to find the outfall

was a bit deeper than i thought (waist high ) and haddnt realised my waders had sprung a leak ! my right foot was only damp to be fair wasnt going to let that spoil it not made of sugar are we lol ,had my big stick with me as it would have been very easy to end up going for a swim at this point !

looking back to the start and then looking forward

thankfully it got a lot shallower and you could make better progress nearly out of the first section

coming out in to the open air i then went under a railway bridge

a train went past at this point bet they all thought whos the lunatic in the river with a torch on his head :D under the bridge and onwards to the start of the next section

a bit deeper the water here although not as deep as my start point it turned the corner and became RCP for a fair stretch

a couple of manholes along the way ,was quite a distance underground

had a climb up one of them looking at the brook below

the RCP pipe now changed to brick which was nice to see

there was a fast flow through the pipe its been dry of late but this drain is not one to do in wet weather it could easily catch you out ! the next bit changed again with walls and a flat concrete roof

the metal posts at each side might have been an old sluice or flow control ? looking back

change in style again

my favourite section this went on a bit then changed to concrete box section

an old underground bridge thats what we want to see

looking back at the bridge
going on from this i came outside to another open air section bit strange as there was a building with people working in it thankfully i wasnt spotted it then went back underground

this was a bit further on as i didnt want to hang around the entrance was a bit of a patchwork quilt if you get my meaning pipes and bits hanging down

getting past all that as you can see in the last pic it now cleaned up with a concrete roof the box culvert now split in to 2 brick pipes

looking back at the 2 pipes they then become one again nearly out there was a couple of big fish swimming in hear always a good sign to see

at the end its all grilled over so its back out the way you came in which is fine as you often see bits you missed earlier and can get some more pics

the end of the culvert
really enjoyed this today one of my favourites a bit of all styles and shapes it took just over an hour from one end to the other then a bit less to go back but a cracking explore just watch the rain flow as i would imagine she could be a beast in the wet weather thanks again for watching :thumb

Esoteric Eric

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I did this one from end to end over a couple of visits as it really is 'long', also filthy in some places! H2s in the outfall to the Don, under the works. Have you got any left to tick off?

*Edit - just realised that my report on here isn't the entire lot but it's on my personal page if you're interested.

Last edited:

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I did this one from end to end over a couple of visits as it really is 'long', also filthy in some places! H2s in the outfall to the Don, under the works. Have you got any left to tick off?

*Edit - just realised that my report on here isn't the entire lot but it's on my personal page if you're interested.
yeah only bit ive done is what is posted looking forward to getting some more ticked of next year :thumb wow you have done some explores lol all good stuff :thumb

Last edited:

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Nice one. Been in this bit quite a few times now- last time I took my film camera and managed to drop it almost straight away after the long concrete bit. No damage but film pics came out crap! And when I went with @WB there were some massive fish in the bit just before the outfall.

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice one. Been in this bit quite a few times now- last time I took my film camera and managed to drop it almost straight away after the long concrete bit. No damage but film pics came out crap! And when I went with @WB there were some massive fish in the bit just before the outfall.
sorry to hear that this and the breech have been my most enjoyable so far thanks for the inspiration again :thumb

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
sorry to hear that this and the breech have been my most enjoyable so far thanks for the inspiration again :thumb

Good stuff! I enjoyed this one, particularly first time when I had no idea what to expect! Shame that whatever the metalwork was in that chamber has been removed but still lots of good features. Yeah I like the Breech too! Nearest drain to my house too, so been a few times there too.