real time web analytics
Report - - Blackburn Royal Infirmary, Blackburn, June 2014 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Blackburn Royal Infirmary, Blackburn, June 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Blackburn Royal Infirmary

History

The Infirmary officially opened its doors in 1864 with a patient capacity of 32 beds and staff to deal with a total of 516 admissions and out patients.

Over the next 10 years the number of patients being cared for rose to 1’768 inpatients and 6’121 outpatients.

In 1893 a Nurses Home was erected in the grounds. The Infirmary was further extended in 1897 when the Victoria WingÂ￾ was built to commemorate the diamond jubilee of the Queen. The Mayor, Fred Baynes, laid the foundation stone for this building. This new wing contained, among other things, an Operating Theatre and Sterilising Room, Anaesthetic Room, Recovery Room, and a new ward on the first floor. Further extensions were made in 1908, which included space for 14 more beds, the total number of beds had now reached 130.

On the 21st of April 1914 by a decree of King George V, the word RoyalÂ￾ was officially added to the title, it was, in future to be known as The Blackburn and East Lancashire Royal Infirmary.

In later years many alterations took place and the look of the Infirmary changed dramatically. However there was no more room for expansion and it was decided that the Infirmary would have to move from the site it had occupied for almost 150 years and a new super complex began to be built at Queens park on the site of the old workhouse. By July 2006 most of the services had moved to the new Hospital, which was to retain its Royal status and be known as The Royal Blackburn HospitalÂ￾ the building was officially opened on 8th July 2006.

The site of the Infirmary was sold to Barratt Homes, who got planning permission to build 253 homes on the site, at first it was thought that much of the old part of the Infirmary would be retained and turned into apartments but an Heritage Assessment deemed that the early buildings had been so much altered and built upon resulting in a loss of both external and internal detail that they do not warrant retention in any future development scheme.Â￾

It was decided that The War Memorial wing would be the only portion that would be retained.

Visit

It's been 3 years since I visited this place and last time I went, I did not have the lens capabilities of taking any decent shots of the dome (arguably the only bit worth seeing), so seeing a few posts pop up I decided to pay the place a quick revisit whilst in the area, before the housing development swallows it up.

It was trashed last time I went and hard to believe it could get any worse, but it certainly has. Seems this place has even bored the local youth now as well as there is pretty much nothing left to break in the place.

[1]
IMG_23497.jpg

[2]
IMG_23500.jpg

[3] & [4]
IMG_23527.jpg
IMG_23515.jpg

[5] & [6]
IMG_23550.jpg
IMG_23552.jpg

[7]
IMG_23554.jpg

[8]
IMG_23555.jpg

[9]
IMG_23556.jpg

[10]
IMG_23557.jpg

[11]
IMG_23607.jpg

[12]
IMG_23620.jpg

[13]
IMG_23626.jpg

Visited with Explorer62.

Full gallery HERE

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice one Zero me ol son, the return was worth it for the dome shots, 4,7 and 8 are proper snorters! :thumb