real time web analytics
General - - Blaenau Ffestiniog visit Oct 2-6 - anyone else interested | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

General - Blaenau Ffestiniog visit Oct 2-6 - anyone else interested

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
I will be visiting some mines around the Blaenau Ffestiniog in the first week of October, not sure on dates yet but will be between tuesday and friday (Im going to Apedale open day on the 6th)

Planning on possibly camping somewhere around the entrance.

Possible mines to visit:
Wrysgan*
Rhosydd*
Croesor
Conglog*
Cwmorthin
Maenoffern
Rhiwbach area*
Parc lead mine (llanrwst*)
Cae coch sulphur mine (llanwrst*)

* mines I have perviously visited. No SRT required.

I may have my friend coming along but he hardly replies to my messages and some of those places can be a bit daunting solo.

If you just want to come have a look for a day that is fine.
Any other local recommendations welcome .

Last edited:

Chalkie31

Urbex Addict
28DL Full Member
Myself and a friend are travelling to wales for one or two days in that week also. Our plan was to do asylum(s) one day and then a mine(s) and quarry or similar the next. Would happily team up I have a list of locations of mines/quarries but as I have little knowledge of wales apart from a sister living there in the south I’m unsure as to access, activity etc. Wales has been on the want list to visit and explore for a while and the time off is uncommon so would love to make the most of it!

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
Myself and a friend are travelling to wales for one or two days in that week also. Our plan was to do asylum(s) one day and then a mine(s) and quarry or similar the next. Would happily team up I have a list of locations of mines/quarries but as I have little knowledge of wales apart from a sister living there in the south I’m unsure as to access, activity etc. Wales has been on the want list to visit and explore for a while and the time off is uncommon so would love to make the most of it!

Where about in Wales are you visiting? Denbeigh is just under an hour from Blaenau.

What is SRT?
Sounds like you're going to have some fun.

SRT is Single rope technique. Basically things like abseiling.

Chalkie31

Urbex Addict
28DL Full Member
Where about in Wales are you visiting? Denbeigh is just under an hour from Blaenau.

The plan was to do Denbigh but have heard that Whitchurch is worth the visit more. We didn’t have any location for the second day as of yet as said just want to do some mines or quarries of some sort. Judging by your SRT comment I need to be a bit more sensible about where we go. We might not be cut out for something like that just yet would need access without.

Chalkie31

Urbex Addict
28DL Full Member
The plan was to do Denbigh but have heard that Whitchurch is worth the visit more. We didn’t have any location for the second day as of yet as said just want to do some mines or quarries of some sort. Judging by your SRT comment I need to be a bit more sensible about where we go. We might not be cut out for something like that just yet would need access without.

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User

All of the ones I have listed are just slate mines which are massive underground chambers, have a look at some of my reports. There is only Moel Fferna that I used a ladder to get in.

The Cardiff area was mostly coal mines which have been sealed by the National Coal board.

Chalkie31

Urbex Addict
28DL Full Member
Do you think it’s better to stick to the north for mines then? I’ve got over plenty added to maps but it’s just knowing which is which and which is suitable for us.... will have a look at your reports now. I’ve done a fair bit of research but feel like nothing can quite prepare you until your there. No matter how much you read

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
Do you think it’s better to stick to the north for mines then? I’ve got over plenty added to maps but it’s just knowing which is which and which is suitable for us.... will have a look at your reports now. I’ve done a fair bit of research but feel like nothing can quite prepare you until your there. No matter how much you read

I can't really say as I have always been up North Wales for the mines and no so much further south. The best thing about them is the easy access, I think it was Rhosydd where someone stripped down a landrover and drove down the adit. Having a quick look on Aditnow.co.uk most of the stuff south of Aberystwyth is Coal and what isn't is lead mines usually accessed by a shaft.
Snowdonia has the high mountains so the entrances tend to be horizontal rather than a vertical pit of death.

Here is some links to map of the workings at some of the mines above:

Wrysgan
Rhosydd
Cwmorthin

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
It was Cwmorthin.

Which is now locked btw if you're thinking of going. You have to pick up and return the key to BYC...

I knew it was one of them. I do know about the key for Cwmorthin and I know the code for Rhiwbach, everything else is open I think. Thanks anyway.

Chalkie31

Urbex Addict
28DL Full Member
By the looks of things I have very much under estimated some of these. I think it was your report on MAENOFFEREN which you said had a lot of surface tunnels which would be better suited for us personally. Mines round here are few and far between it seems. If not taken over by companies most seem well sealed because incidents of kids being lost. This means I’ve yet to do a mine apart from the several trips to the pit when visiting my sister with all the tourists

By the sounds of it we would only hold you back and don’t know how much of the deep and more treterous we would be able to do. A few miles of tunnels off the surface, some old rusty carts/track and the scale alone would blow my mind haha.

Some of your reports and pictures are amazing had a chuckle about the dinghies too think your reports will now become a valuable tool in finding me a sensible day or two of exploring. I appreciate the advice and the good reading

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
By the looks of things I have very much under estimated some of these. I think it was your report on MAENOFFEREN which you said had a lot of surface tunnels which would be better suited for us personally. Mines round here are few and far between it seems. If not taken over by companies most seem well sealed because incidents of kids being lost. This means I’ve yet to do a mine apart from the several trips to the pit when visiting my sister with all the tourists

By the sounds of it we would only hold you back and don’t know how much of the deep and more treterous we would be able to do. A few miles of tunnels off the surface, some old rusty carts/track and the scale alone would blow my mind haha.

Some of your reports and pictures are amazing had a chuckle about the dinghies too think your reports will now become a valuable tool in finding me a sensible day or two of exploring. I appreciate the advice and the good reading

I haven't been into Maenoffern so it was probably someone else report that you have read and you probably saw something on the Croesor - Rhosydd through trip which is way beyond my level. Most of the stuff I do is basically walking around underground with a few bits of scrambling up collapses, the hardest part is navigating around the collapsed bridges.

Somewhere like Rhiwbach is perfect for the novice explorer, about 10 mins walk from the car park, tramway in situ with an old cart and it is used by a local adventure company (which means it is inspected regularly by HM mines inspectors) so it relatively safe.

Chalkie31

Urbex Addict
28DL Full Member
Apologies I must have clicked the content instead of thread of whichever way round. Something like that would be good I think. We don’t mind a couple mile hike to gain the rewards tho! First time in Wales exploring properly so would be good for the views too. From your reports the slate mines look more than adequate.

Im not shy of a good climb/hike as long as I know theres something good at the end waiting. Walking about underground and a bit of climbing like you describe sounds ideal for our sort of level. Ill keep having a proper look for your reports and try to work out the best option. Once again thanks for the replies and wealth of advice :cool:

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
A walk up to Rhosydd is very nice. From Cwmorthin it goes down the valley floor before rising up to the mill level. From Croesor it gradually rises up the side off the valley with some views down it.

Croesor Valley
29869389947_238ba07558_k.jpg

Cwm Orthin

29869384547_7b2a0034e5_k.jpg