real time web analytics
General - - Blaenau Ffestiniog visit Oct 2-6 - anyone else interested | Mines and Quarries | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

General - Blaenau Ffestiniog visit Oct 2-6 - anyone else interested

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Chalkie31

Urbex Addict
28DL Full Member
Judging by these and some of your other photos my jaw will be on the floor before we've reached anything remotely mine like. Absolutely stunning!! Think after spending a bit of time looking at the reports something like Conglog would be good. Are all the mines very wet inside? (That one looked a little dryer) I saw something about a dry suit is that a necessity for any mine? What other gear would you suggest as a must have for this sort of thing?

Chalkie31

Urbex Addict
28DL Full Member
Rhosydd does look extremely cool I love these pictures and the one of the waterfall which I believe is on this explore? Looks quite wet this one though? Are all the mines quite wet and waterlogged? Saw a comment about a dry suit? Is that a must for them all? Think looking at your reports Conglog looked a bit dryer?

What other gear as a minimal would you suggest also for this sort of thing?

Judging by these and some of your other photos are jaws will be on the floor before we even reach the mines o_O

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
Conglog is a nice little mine but you might as well visit Rhosydd as well as they are only 5 minutes walk apart. You probably need wellies for both but a dry suit is overkill - the beauty of these mines are that they only flood up to a certain point after which they are self draining. There is just a small pool at the entrance to Conglog and Rhosydd has a 50ft or so pool at welly depth. Anywhere that does flood without pumping has filled with water many years ago.

Gear wise: some wellies, Waterproofs (over normal clothes is fine). Hardhat (reccomended) and at least 2 light sources.

Chalkie31

Urbex Addict
28DL Full Member
I cant thank you enough for all this bud. I may have to look into my gear and try to beef it up a little. I think we will head to them two then and spend the day between the two exploring what we can. I love the valley views and the one of the waterfall. Don't think I will go for the drysuit but the waterproofs doesn't sound like a bad shout even if only bottoms. Small pools at wellie depths wont be an issue at all as long as I don't have to pack a dinghy I think we should be all good.

Was it you who took the pictures of the blue lagoon at the bottom of one? A lot of nerves settled so once again, thanks

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
Was it you who took the pictures of the blue lagoon at the bottom of one? A lot of nerves settled so once again, thanks

I'm not sure which one you mean.

I brought one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008VNH11Y/?tag=networkmechan-21
It is great for caving, stops you getting muddy or wet and you can just take it off and get straight in the car. Can get a bit sweaty though.

The dinghy is needed for the Croesor though trip which is why if you google Rhosydd that is what will show up. Not required for a walk around though.

Chalkie31

Urbex Addict
28DL Full Member
I think it may have been when I searched for you content instead of threads. Saw a couple of pictures and comments about a blue lagoon which looked insane.
That's good to know! I will have a look into some more robust gear I think. Which one would you suggest heading to first out of the two? Im one of them people who always explores the lesser great one first and then always wish I left enough energy for the next which most of the time turns out to be the better one haha

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
I can't remember mentioning a blue lagoon but I will have a look anyway.

I would go to Conglog first, its a small mine and will give you a feel for slate mines. Plus theres a couple of complete wagons in there as well.
Wrysgan is right near the car park but it makes it a right long days if you do all three, we came out of Rhosydd into 40mph winds and it blew me over into a puddle and ruined dmy camera :(

Last edited:

Chalkie31

Urbex Addict
28DL Full Member
Yeah I read that in your report that’s tragic mate!! Haha I know what them winds can be like the storm tonight is bad enough but I’m on the 18th floor of my sisters flat. The water in the bog moves when you look at it!! :oops:

Conglog it is then by the sounds of it. I actually can’t wait so excited for it. I’m hoping we do this all the second day after a decent kip. Start early but I think we will stick to the two. We might be driving up and doing this on the first day but I don’t think that would be wise.... asylum(s) on the first day and stay local and do this on the second

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
What day were planning on doing it? I will probably come up for a few days and enjoy the delights of Blanaeu (and maybe a trip up Crib Goch again)

Prepare for rain though, it is one of the wettest places in the country!

Chalkie31

Urbex Addict
28DL Full Member
Sometime in the first week we’ve yet to finalise details. Think it’s gona be two days but there’s room for a third I believe.

Where are you based? Are they both mines? you’ve done before?

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
Will probably be staying in Ffestiniog, unless the hostel sells out I have given up on the camping idea.

I have been to Rhosydd 3 or 4 times and Conglog once. Each time I get a bit further into Rhosydd but I still have not found that elusive floor 3/6 incline.

Chalkie31

Urbex Addict
28DL Full Member
We will get Conglog done then just spend the rest of the sensisble time left in Rhosydd. Ohhhh I didnt think about hostels that’s a good shout!!

That sounds way above my head. Can you tell me more? When you say 3/6 is that between the floor numbers or gradient? My mine virgin coming out

Chalkie31

Urbex Addict
28DL Full Member
I’d seen the numbers been mentioned a few times and wasn’t sure if it was a measure of gradient or between floors so thanks for clearing that up. It’s absomutely mind boggling when you see the maps and pictures all together. As I said before I don’t think any amount of reading can quite prepare you

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
The maps look more confusing than the actual layout is, it is not easy to show a 3d space on paper. It is surprisingly simple once you get in, you do have you fond a way around collapsed bridges though.

I have the Rhosydd book I can bring along if you want a look.