real time web analytics
Report - - Blanchdown Woods, Wheal Maria - Aug 2010 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Blanchdown Woods, Wheal Maria - Aug 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lectrician

LED Crazy
28DL Full Member
Blanchdown Woods Mining Area

The mine itself was known as "Wheal Maria", after the Duke of Bedford's wife. The Duke of Bedford leased the land to the mining company.

I can't find too much info about this site. It is very close to the 'Exclesior Tunnel' for those who have seen those reports. The Excelsior Tunnel is pretty much over the next hill.

The area began operations in 1844. The primary material being mined was copper, but arsenic and lead where also mined. Some remenants of the old buildings remain, but there is very little to see. The site was shut back in the 1920's

There is a large expanse of spoil tipped around the landscape. The site is privately owned with the owners house on site. It is currently used by a 'down hill biking' club.

Perhaps not the best explore, I will leave it upto the mods to decide if it warrents a place here!

I could not find any hints of access to the mine shafts or adits etc.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic9.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic8.jpg

pic10.jpg

I saw this hole in the distance, and after walking over through hundreds of flies in the hot sunshine, found it was only a few meters long! It is rther odd and the ground is very soft. Surprised this is still standing!

pic18.jpg

pic14.jpg

pic15.jpg

pic20.jpg

pic21.jpg