Web
Analytics
Report - - Blebo Quarry, Fife, November 2009 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Blebo Quarry, Fife, November 2009

zimbob

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited this with Foz101 and another explorer, who's not on this site....

Sandstone has been quarried here for centuries, apparently it is particularly good in this area :
Vast deposits of sandstone are to be found in Kemback Hill. Because of its silicon content it was easy to hew and dress and had the added quality of taking a fine polish. Consequently it was in great demand by builders and a thriving industry developed with Blebo Craigs as its centre.
(Taken from 'A Short History of Kemback Parish' by Maurice Milne, Session Clerk)

After a wee stroll through the woods (past the 'slipper'o'doom') and left at the rope-swing, we arrived at our destination :

Fife211109088.jpg

In we went :)

Fife211109035.jpg

All the supports that had been left in place had been hand-dressed, I can only assume this was done as practice for the masons.

Further in, a small pond of water, the only real damp in this place :

Fife211109046.jpg

We also noticed the vein of shale, visible at the top of every support, and often visibly crumbling :(

Fife211109037.jpg

Fife211109043.jpg

The curved, dressed wall, a real work of art :)

Fife211109047.jpg

The infamously well-endowed 'Ladyboy of Blebo' :gay

Fife211109038.jpg

This place has seen severall rockfalls, I cannot stress enough how dodgy the roof in here is :

Fife211109051.jpg

It may look as though the large slab is resting on the rocks in the middle of this shot, but that is due to the perspective - it's just hanging there :eek:

Cracks abound in the roof, sometimes you only notice 'em on the photos! This was a rather neat little timber arrangement, packed with rocks, a form of support I assume :

Fife211109071.jpg

Another timber and rock-packed arrangement :

Fife211109072.jpg

The 'wall of deads' - pretty much the most stable part of this place

Fife211109066.jpg

This place is not as spacious as it appears - here's a 'ghost' crawling in to give a sense of scale :

Fife211109069.jpg

More ceiling-collapses litter the floor :

Fife211109082.jpg

Fife211109049.jpg

A ghostly Foz101 doing his thing :

Fife211109073.jpg

Daylight beckoned, time to go :)

Fife211109086.jpg

I really enjoyed my first foray underground :)

Attachments

novice_strength

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Pretty banging photos (y) Ive been there a few times. Itching to find out whats down the two crawl through tunnels. Could lead to nothing or a whole different passage.

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good pictures, you'll have to have a look at Cults mine, thats on a vastly bigger scale than this small mine, about a mile across and extends in three or four hundred metres, not too far away from this place.

RichardB

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Pretty banging photos (y) Ive been there a few times. Itching to find out whats down the two crawl through tunnels. Could lead to nothing or a whole different passage.
Nothing much, it just opens out a little bit at the end.

This one seems particularly unstable for some reason, the other Blebo quarries haven't deteriorated anywhere near as much.

novice_strength

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I
Nothing much, it just opens out a little bit at the end.

This one seems particularly unstable for some reason, the other Blebo quarries haven't deteriorated anywhere near as much.
That's disappointing lol
I think I've been in all of them. Are they all lined up next to each other?

RichardB

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Knockhill is the one that has loads of them lined up next to each other, there are a few smaller bits around this one, and there is another one in the same woods.