real time web analytics
Report - - Blue Christ Church - Belgium - Jan, 2021 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Blue Christ Church - Belgium - Jan, 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ForgottenBuildings

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History:
During the end of the 1800s this part of Belgium was known for the massive heavy industry. With this new industry the demand for houses also grew, which created a ton of new housing blocks for the employees. Including the many new housing blocks there were also newly constructed churches. In 1880 this church opened and was constructed in a rather grand Neo-Gothic architecture, which was quite prominent in churches at that time. In the 1970s the industry started to decrease which caused a gradual flight of people in the neighborhoods. In 1990 this trend caused that this church couldn't operate anymore due to high maintenance costs.

Nowadays the church is home to many mice and pigeon families. There are no plans to restore this grand church.

Photos:

I also made a video where I went more in-depth into the history of this site:

Thanks for reading and watching!

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
I visited this place years ago. Must have been about 2015 and it looked exactly the same!! I'm amazed it's remained so untouched. A lot of the stuff around Belgium started going downhill quite fast around that same time. Nice photos.

jST

LLS.
Regular User
If I remember correctly there was some very new looking mobile telecommunications kit and cellular antennas in the bell tower (2014) which would explain the bricking up?

ForgottenBuildings

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
If I remember correctly there was some very new looking mobile telecommunications kit and cellular antennas in the bell tower (2014) which would explain the bricking up?
Could easily be the case, there was power in the church, so I'm guessing that that part is still active to this day