real time web analytics
Report - - Blues Brothers Prison (Joliet Correctional Center) - USA | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Blues Brothers Prison (Joliet Correctional Center) - USA

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

naatje from holland

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ever seen the Blues Brothers movie? If you do you might remember the opening scene where Elwood picks up his brother Jake from a prison in a police car. This is that prison, and here is the opening scene.

The prison was opened in 1858 and built with the help of convict labour. It finally closed its doors in 2002 because of budget costs, and the poor state of the buildings. More info on wikipedia.

We were in Chicago during a long road trip trough the land of the free when we found out that this bit of film nostalgia was not too far off our route to Detroit and had been abandoned for many years. Finding the prison was no problem at all but to actually get in was the hard part. The walls and metal that have kept people inside for the best part of 150 years kept us out for a good while.

DSC01722.jpg

DSC01662.jpg

DSC01668.jpg

Until eventually, succes
DSC01718.jpg

DSC01719.jpg

DSC01720.jpg

While walking in the yard we see dog's footprints. A lot of them, but thankfully no sign of the animal itself
DSC01697.jpg

Then finally the prison started to look like a prison
DSC01685.jpg

DSC01686.jpg

DSC01689.jpg

DSC01682.jpg

Many of the non cellblock buildings were still recognisable in the sense of what their purpose used to be such as the kitchen, laundry room or visiting rooms, but were now mostly filled with fourteen years worth of vandalism and decay.
DSC01698.jpg

DSC01717.jpg

Have you seen the light?
DSC01716.jpg

The Lone Shadow

Industrial Fanatic!
28DL Full Member
Bloody hell! That is nice. Did you see the section where Jake collects collects his belongings? Was it recognisable?

stellaluna

Don’t panic flight mechanic
28DL Full Member
Yes! Yes! Jesus H tap-dancing Christ, I have seen the light!

It's a good one anyway but the connection to the Blues Brothers is the icing on the cake for me! Thanks for sharing, liking the cell block pictures.

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
Nice! This is also where Michael Schofield did all his dramatic whispering in the first season of Prison Break.

Looks amazing.

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Fantastic!

They should of filmed the triple rock scene there as well, that chapel has ambience in spades.

naatje from holland

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Bloody hell! That is nice. Did you see the section where Jake collects collects his belongings? Was it recognisable?

We did look for it! And we thought we found it but after seeing the scene again it wasn't the place..
DSC01695.jpg

The gate Jake leaves the prison from is the one in the second picture, here is a better one of the gate.
DSC01725.jpg

I forgot about this one, the administration building was falling to pieces. We watched our step after seeing that
DSC01678_1.jpg

And also, the next day we were in Detroit and managed to visit what once was one of Detroits prominent theatres that has now been turned into a parking lot. Sadly this is the only picture I have of that place.
DSC01747.jpg

The Lone Shadow

Industrial Fanatic!
28DL Full Member
Wow! That looks very similar though... I just keep imagining John Belushi leaning across that line to sign for his things. If only he were here to see the state of this place now.

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Stunning work, this is one of of the places I've seen in a while, I would love to visit here, and the film is epic too…I'm sure the parking lot cinema is in the film 8 mile. Derelict buildings from movies, what else have you got to show us ?

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Great to see, especially with the connection to the Blues Brothers, it one of my all time favourite films :thumb

naatje from holland

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Stunning work, this is one of of the places I've seen in a while, I would love to visit here, and the film is epic too…I'm sure the parking lot cinema is in the film 8 mile. Derelict buildings from movies, what else have you got to show us ?

Thanks, don't know about eight mile but the name of it is 'the Michigan building'.
Got some pictures from an abandoned goldmine in Death Valley. Will try to make a report on that too