real time web analytics
Report - - Bolton Textile Mill, March 2015 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bolton Textile Mill, March 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Once again thanks to Host for introducing me to the odd bunch that now occupy this mill.

Typical and in some ways rather plain mill, built 1909.
Since closure has found the usual "conversion" (and I use the term loosely) into storage, boxing club etc etc.
The mills engine hall is still standing, and despite loosing it's floor at engine level, still has a patchwork array of original tilework on the walls.

We ventured under the floor to the steam tunnels, where a beautiful and extremely long cast iron spiral staircase leads the climber up the rope race, past the dust extraction equipment and up to bricked up entrances to each floor of the mill. The ironwork and general scale of the rope race is a sight to behold, despite the terrible state of neglect the building has fallen in to.

The roof offered some typical northern drizzley views over the town and neighbouring mills...

DSC_0434_zpsrzhfgu76.jpg

DSC_0442_zpsmkgp2jyq.jpg
DSC_0517_zpsbbyqcfiu.jpg

DSC_0452_zpsxzhwyfu1.jpg

DSC_0454_zps5tctqelt.jpg

DSC_0463_zpskfhsme4y.jpg

DSC_0473_zpswgbyowtu.jpg

DSC_0477_zpsakflt55m.jpg
DSC_0485_zpsv4ht0leo.jpg

DSC_0478_zpsztohi8ja.jpg

DSC_0488_zpsvovuhkrm.jpg
DSC_0489_zpsf98ka6yj.jpg

DSC_0492_zpsoao3b8du.jpg

DSC_0495_zpstkdncmm4.jpg

DSC_0503_zpstnqun5vg.jpg

DSC_0521_zpsuevipoao.jpg

DSC_0536_zpsphsgxpa3.jpg

DSC_0539_zps2zdg3vm3.jpg

DSC_0545_zpsc2f932da.jpg

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
3379989_0b08da53.jpg

The daddy bear wheel spins, and the ropes transport the power to the mummy bear wheel situated in the rope race on each floor for each individual machine.

Just think of the amount of power that big wheel was producing!!

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Unbelievably, I've never seen pictures of the daddy wheel, and didn't realise it was driven by rope. Cheers for the info.

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
..and usually more than one rope to each floor, so that if one rope snapped the other would keep going and the whole mill didn't have to stop to get one floor back "on line"

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Did you learn nothing in that museum in Bradford!? You were too busy being wooed by the masons!!

That picture is of Trencherfield mill's engine, we should go when they steam it, a lot of what we have seen over the years starts to make sense when you see one running.

It kind of explains why the engine halls were so lavish, the bit of kit inside them was the 'beating heart' of the whole mill. If the engine stopped, every single machine stopped.

With that in mind, it makes you realise what an innovation the electric motor must have been!

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cracking stuff mate, this is one of my new favourate mills..

Kenni

Derp Lover
28DL Full Member
Fanbloodytastic! I really need to start 'milling' about, seeing as these are on my door-step!!