real time web analytics
Bomb Sight | Books and Media | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Bomb Sight

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Isiah_Sheepworrier

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This went live today. A website that records all the known bombs that fell during the London Blitz. I had a discussion with my parents about it earlier. I doesn't mention the one that fell in my grandparent's garden, that was 1942, but does record the Peldon Terrace parachute in Richmond on Thames that killed several friends of my dad and aunts

http://www.bombsight.org/#15/51.5050/-0.0900

The Franconian

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The different kind of bombs are shown by zooming in the map, some more details following -data -data sources.
Exploded bombs are easy to be found on photos by their craters, duds often made only small holes and slipped a few meters under the earth.
Still a danger nowadays, one or two found every year in my town, one was found in/under a school yard two years ago.
At some boggy areas, untouched since the war, there are still bomb craters to be found, very round little waterfilled pools, with a diameter of ca. 5-6m.
Have an open eye on them.

The Franconian

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That's a bomb crater in Nuremberg, 70 years after.
There exist also trees with spalls(?) in them / hurt by, but I have never seen them.

016_zps255b4cb0.jpg

Don't look very spectacular and if they could be everything, but if you see them live, they look very round, more then on this photo.
Another advice could be, that you find some looking similar nearby

Walrus75

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Call that a bomb crater???!! Now this is a bomb crater --> http://goo.gl/maps/BnL4U
:)

On Ashley Walk WW2 bombing range in the New Forest. (Google "Ashley Walk Bombing range" and it'll throw up an interesting webpage or 2).

One of my relatives lives in Hendon close to one of the bomb sites. He recently demolished a WW2 bomb shelter that was in the back garden, it took a huge amount of effort to get rid of it and the foundations are still there 12 inches under a flower bed. Makes me wonder if it was built after or before the bomb went off only 50 yards away.

Last edited:

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details