real time web analytics
Report - - Boredomiser, Derby, January 2020 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Boredomiser, Derby, January 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User

The weather being really crap recently has led to limited drain activity, but I have managed to find a gap in the rain to have a look at a couple of tourist drainz. Boredomiser is a culvert that runs under Derby, over the Markeaton Brook. It runs from Bridge street into the River Derwent, covering approximately 1.5km.

Pics are all film. I can't remember which film I used here, but I suspect nobody really cares anyway. Developed by your friendly high street branch of Max Spielman - I always wonder what they think when they develop my drain pics...

Onwards, starting with the entry via the infall. There's a nice little waterfall here, which I captured really badly in my wobbly pic, erk.

The first bit is some nice brick, with an old bridge embedded in the culvert.

After a bit, brick turns to concrete and then corrugation...

This large arch seems to go on for aaaages, before arriving at a split...

Both of the options lead to the same concrete section...

Looking back down the left hand side split....

Looking towards the outfall (I think)...

And then comes my favourite part... On the right, before the outfall is a right turn... This leads to a section with a pipe within a pipe. You can tell I liked this as it's photo overkill here...

Had enough yet? It smells awful in this bit, by the way...

Ok, so the final bit is concrete...

And finally, looking out of the outfall.

And looking back in. Climbing out here was interesting as I actually had no idea of where I was. Slapping across Derby in my waders back to the car also got me a few looks.

Done...

Last edited:

tallginge

more tall than ginger tho.....
Regular User
Glad yer finally got to see this mate - nice one :thumb Wonder if all that pipe in a pipe stuff has something to do wiv derby getting a hammering in that recent storm?

I can't remember which film I used here, but I suspect nobody really cares anyway

Lol

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Was it a sewagey smell? Seems there is a leak on that big pipe, at first I thought it was a water main. but that would not explain the smell in the section you mentioned?

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
Really hard to click on a drain report titled 'Boredomiser'... but this looks more than alright.

Film in drains is tough and unforgiving task.

WB

28DL Wood Burner
28DL Full Member
Been a long time since I did this one. Myself @thompski & @Raptor Jesus tried following that smelly pipe as far as we could until the stench got too much...
How far up there did you get?

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Very nice, this is what I love about culverts. The curves, brickwork to smooth concrete, metal and ledges. The gushing water all makes for cracking shots. love the pipe within a pipe shot, dont blame you for the over kill on those, just the right amount I think. Also loving the night shot looking out of the outfall. All looks great on film too. :thumb

puma

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You must have a tripod in the water for you long exposures or your balance is so good your probably a tightrope Walker , looks great

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
So what is the pipe within the pipe then?
giphy.gif

sooo, from the smell and the way it’s isolated from the rest of the flow I’m assuming that it’s a sewer pipe. I guess it probs used to flow directly into the river years back but they probs altered that when the world became a little more environmentally conscious. Certainly reports from 2010 etc show it there then, so it’s not new. Although I think I was a little bit more photographically obsessed with it than I’ve seen others be in the past. The smell (potentially from leakage) was defo sewer.

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Th
Very nice, this is what I love about culverts. The curves, brickwork to smooth concrete, metal and ledges. The gushing water all makes for cracking shots. love the pipe within a pipe shot, dont blame you for the over kill on those, just the right amount I think. Also loving the night shot looking out of the outfall. All looks great on film too. :thumb
Thanks!

Who has read this thread (Total: 308) View details