real time web analytics
Report - - Bourton Mill - Dorset Feb 2015 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bourton Mill - Dorset Feb 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Rushton

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hey Guys ! Thought I'd do a report on a abandoned factory I've visited a few times in a small village called Bourton near Gillingham in Dorset. I visited this place with my Mrs to shoot some photos i needed for my Uni course and thought I'd research into about the place more .
(Pulled from Wiki) "The mill, which is mentioned in the Domesday book, has had many incarnations. As a linen mill it processed flax and supplied canvas to the Royal Navy but when industry declined it was developed into a foundry with a blast furnace and was one of the first places to make the new threshing machines in the West of England. It went on to build boilers, steam lorries and gas engines as well as gaining a reputation as a builder of water wheels. During the First World War Mills Bombs were produced here in vast quantities. After the Gasper dam burst upriver in the summer of 1917, much of the machinery was washed from the factory and it took a number of years for industry to restart on the site. When it did return in 1933 the factory entered its final phase as a dried milk processing plant and this continued up until its closure in 1998. It is now derelict with many of the oldest buildings in a state of collapse"

The place is boarded off at the road but there are ways to get inside , most the machinery is still there but with the electronics ripped out, mainly now used as a site for graffiti artists and squat raves, but it is a very big place and took a couple of hours to explore it all .

I took some photos of the place which im having trouble putting into the thread ( maybe someone can tell me how ? ) but they are on my flickr here : https://www.flickr.com/photos/131090073@N08/16730108796/

Hobbsy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
How easy is this place to find as not far from gillingham and would like to take a look