real time web analytics
Report - - Bowshank Tunnel | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bowshank Tunnel

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

selkirkbear

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
OK here is my first attempt.

After Bovine's sucessful explore of the Whitrope Tunnel (It was still shut tight when I visited it last year) I thought I'd go for an explore of it's little cousin on the former Waverley Line, the Bowshank Tunnel.

The Bowshank Tunnel is 249 yards long and is cut through a promontory of land around which a bow of the Gala Water flows.

Although the tunnel is currently empty the local farmer would appear to use it for wintering his cattle and storing various bits of machinery.

As plans are in place to partially reopen the Waverley Line trains should once again be running through the tunnel, although many think that the estimated completion date of 2014 is rather optimistic.

IMG_0193.jpg

The Northern Portal.

IMG_0199.jpg

The Southern Portal

IMG_0196.jpg

The profile of the tunnel widens near the centre and a false wall has been built to provide a platelayers bothy/storeroom.

IMG_0202-1.jpg

Although a fairly short tunnel due to it curving to the west you cannot quite see straight through it.

IMG_0208-1.jpg

In a couple of sections the brickwork appears to have been removed and the tunnel enlarged. This may be the reason why there aren't any refuges built into this section.

IMG_0207.jpg

There is some evidence of repair work to the walls.

IMG_0205.jpg

My co-explorer for the day NayNay2003

Who has read this thread (Total: 4) View details