real time web analytics
Question - - Box freestone mine backdoor access situation | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Box freestone mine backdoor access situation

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Jurwin

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi,

planning to visit box mine in a couple of weeks time. Have been before and always used backdoor due to its proximity to the cathedral. Does anyone know the current access situation? There are various reports online of it being blocked with a stone/no longer accessible.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
There is/was a large boulder on the inside of the gate preventing the gate from opening. That boulder has at least once been moved out of the way, but magically moved back some time after. In addition a newly erected wooden fence blocks the way to the gate.

Access to the back door has always been across private land on the edge of some one's back garden, who has been very tolerate and welcoming to bona fide cavers over the years. But some people have been camping, littering and picnicing there. Quite rightly the landowner is a bit miffed.

Best to use another entrance such as Jack's entrance in the woods and not aggravate a delicate situation.

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Last thing you need is a trip in through Jacks to find out that backdoor is blocked and you have a 90 minute trudge back... By all means try it as an exit but don't be surprised if its blocked.

Jurwin

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks all. May try backdoor due to time constraints on the day but will be discreet and will leave if asked etc. Definitely don't want to aggravate the access situation.

cunningcorgi

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Backdoor was accessable (i.e. no shit blocking inside of the gate the gate) 4/1/17 (Weds).

The woman with the lovely back garden with the tennis court has zero problem with bone fide explorers going through her patch. Have spoken to her before and after the fence's went up. Too many uber scum were trying to get into Box (as she said, wearing shorts, t-shirts, puma's) and were going to navigate thier way to Cathedral (they only want to go to Cathedral) with nothing but their mobile phone lights and a crate of Carling.

She just got seriously pissed off with the chavs and especially when they came out (if they did without the help of the the local constabulary and Mines Rescue) and the fact they were giving her and her family the bird.

Nice woman and if you look the part, act the part and respect her and her property, she'll probably show you down to Jack's herself.

Stay wide and you'll be grand.

Jurwin

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Backdoor was accessable (i.e. no shit blocking inside of the gate the gate) 4/1/17 (Weds).

The woman with the lovely back garden with the tennis court has zero problem with bone fide explorers going through her patch. Have spoken to her before and after the fence's went up. Too many uber scum were trying to get into Box (as she said, wearing shorts, t-shirts, puma's) and were going to navigate thier way to Cathedral (they only want to go to Cathedral) with nothing but their mobile phone lights and a crate of Carling.

She just got seriously pissed off with the chavs and especially when they came out (if they did without the help of the the local constabulary and Mines Rescue) and the fact they were giving her and her family the bird.

Nice woman and if you look the part, act the part and respect her and her property, she'll probably show you down to Jack's herself.

Stay wide and you'll be grand.

Thanks very much, I kind of assumed this would be the case but didn't want to upset the landowner.

We're definitely more bona fide explorers than lager-swilling chavs! (going down there to get some video footage for a project) and we'll be nothing but polite if we bump into her.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Benyy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
theres a couple of us planning a visit on a sunday early next month if anybody fancies the trip, been a couple of times before

bassboyjoe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I've just moved to the area and have been down browns folly a few times, didn't realise the expanse of box and wouldn't mind a trip if anyone is going soon?

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Plenty of trips going on all the time, depends if you want a guided tour or an explore.