real time web analytics
Report - - Box Freestone Mine - Wiltshire - May 2012 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Box Freestone Mine - Wiltshire - May 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

God

Bloody Everywhere
28DL Full Member
Visited with Two Non-Members​

This has been covered quite a lot and there has been many a good get together down here. I first visited this mine back in 2010! I don't think I ever posted the photos as a) I suffered memory card failure and lost a lot, only picking a few up with a spare memory card on the last leg, and b) the ones I got were a bit on the shit side and ot enough to make a report. Opting to hold on to them so I could return and do a proper report I've sat on them since then!

I've visited a few times since and never got any worthwhile photos, so on this occasion I went to see how well I could navigate round and if I could actually get any decent photos of the place. Navigating seemed easier than decent photos :rolleyes: :p:

It was also the first time I met DHL in 2010 on the 28DL meet. RIP Mate :(

Bit of Info stolen from Tinterweb

Box is not one quarry, it is a series of several quarries that eventually all joined up. Some of the area's inside Box are still known by their original names. Cliftworks, Spring, Tunnel, copenacre, Jacks, Cathedral, Sands, Groundstone, Browns and Hudswell. Many of the eastern quarry's were taken over by the MOD and converted into ammunition storage and wartime government seats. Today, only the western parts of Box are officially accessible.

Photos

IMG_0082Custom.jpg

IMG_0074Custom.jpg

IMG_0071Custom.jpg

IMG_0068Custom.jpg

IMG_0066Custom.jpg

IMG_0060Custom.jpg

IMG_0058Custom.jpg

IMG_0054Custom.jpg

IMG_0052Custom.jpg

IMG_0036Custom.jpg

IMG_0026Custom.jpg