real time web analytics
Report - - Box Freestone Mine - Wiltshire - May 2017 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Box Freestone Mine - Wiltshire - May 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

b3n

onehundredandthirtythree
Regular User
I took some friends up to Wiltshire for a day in Box yesterday.

I've talked about the history quite a bit in previous reports so won't say much here but if you're interested the Folly Press book Bath Stone Quarries is great...

Overslept so a slightly later start than planned got us up to the Quarryman's Arms for a swift half at Midday. Stuff's changed a bit since my last visit so we were headed in through Jack's instead of the usual Backdoor, I'd not done much of the South section so although it's a longer walk this was fine by me.

We were kitted up and inside by 1, the south section is the oldest workings and navigation is quite hard so we were pretty much following the guide for this part. Although it's quite sparse of features there's some graffiti from the old miners which is great to see.

b3.jpg

The south stank of weed and there were glowsticks everywhere, we soon found out why when a bunch of chavs turn up. 'Where's Cathedral?'. They are well out of their depth, it's over an hours walk away and they have no map so after a quick chat we send them back to sort their shit out. Later we passed a group who looked much better prepared.

b4.jpg

Smashed it out a bit from here, through the rest of the south and b12, we didn't really stop until robots for lunch.
Someone had knocked down all the robots so we did what we could, building a few and a massive Isle of Wight.

b5.jpg

Next up was Brewers and the red door, we kept our distance as there's no point in setting off an alarm to touch it. Hopefully one day i'll get in.

b6.jpg

b7.jpg

b8.jpg

Quick stop at delta rectangle and we headed north to see some cranes.

b2.jpg

We had a ferry to catch so pretty much ran from the north down to Cathedral for a photo stop then proceeded to get totally lost on our way to the exit and eventual made it to daylight and the Quarryman's for another pint.

b1.jpg

About 7 hours in all to do the whole trip, it's a long day to cover the whole mine and doesn't leave much time to get off the beaten track, especially if there are a few of you with cameras ect. We did it however so with aching feet we drove back and made it home by midnight.

Last edited:

Lenston

Bajo Tierra
Regular User
Sounds like a good day was had :thumb Looks like all the graff has been removed from Cathedral

Last edited:

b3n

onehundredandthirtythree
Regular User
Always a good day in Box :thumb Need to check out some other bits in the area next.. Yeah there's still a bit around but it's looking quite tidy down there at the moment.

UrbexCamo

"Just having a look officer"
Banned
Great report! Love this place so much, shame the little fuckers have destroyed all the robots...one of them was mine :( I'd slap them into next week if i caught them. Mindless vandalism is a cancer in exploring.