real time web analytics
Report - - Box Freestone Mine - Wiltshire - September 2016 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Box Freestone Mine - Wiltshire - September 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Tobin

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So this is my very first report. I've been on 28dl for over a year now so i thought it was about time. Please feel free to critique my work. Right on to the report.

History
This mine has been worked over centuries (probably back to Roman times) and extends many miles. It is located in the village of Box, near Bath, and was used to extract limestone. Many of the local building have been built out of the good quality stone. A large part of the mine was used for military purposes during WW2. Box is now a designated Site of Special Scientific Interest, on account of the number of bat species which reside in the mine.

The Explore
After previous attempts and only really getting to the cathedral, myself and a non member decided we would head down the night before. We jumped in the van of love and headed south on the usual route for us, we arrived to a dark and foggy box village. At the crack of dawn i woke up in my soggy tent (as i forgot to put the air vent cover on) and we made our way to the back door with our maps.

We made our way through the crawl and arrived at the mass of left and rights. It was at this moment i realised we didnt have a compass ( a must in box ) so we followed the map to the cathedral as its pretty straight forward. Once again it took my breath away, the sheer size is immense. Quick beer and smoke while we discussed where to head next.

B12 was the decision (or at least that was the plan). So we headed on right if you was to look at the cath and noticed some very handy graffiti saying follow the O's backward to B12, wonderful we thought. After about 10 or 12 O's they stopped and we ended up looking at a very unnerving crawl. We decided to tackle it and at that point we was lost, not a clue where we was.

So after a very worried hour of wondering around completely lost to our amazement we ended up back at the cathedral, only on the other side. We must have passed behind the cath in a big circle, which would make sense as we seen a crane that was marked on the map.

We then decided to leave through back door and go and have a look for jacks entrance. This area of the mine is much easier to navigate in my opinion. We cant wait to revisit and see B12 and the red door at some point... until then here are my pics.

720385[/ATTACH]']
QW1yt7G.jpg

720387[/ATTACH]']
vxSOexP.jpg

720389[/ATTACH]']
N2udxVj.jpg

720391[/ATTACH]']
qHdLbGT.jpg

720393[/ATTACH]']
mTDvRlW.jpg

720395[/ATTACH]']
qNPRABm.jpg

720397[/ATTACH]']
XbK0Xbg.jpg

720399[/ATTACH]']
ZeLt5te.jpg

720401[/ATTACH]']
uGvvjTN.jpg

720403[/ATTACH]']
9NuWJPL.jpg

720405[/ATTACH]']
UwJuTH7.jpg

720407[/ATTACH]']
PdqpjJ3.jpg

720409[/ATTACH]']
23GjVMd.jpg

720411[/ATTACH]']
H4RJCOE.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited:

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
you seem to have a bit of an issue with your pictures..no use putting a link to where you uploaded them you need to use the IMG code and post them here mate

wellingtonian

Subterráneo
Regular User
Hah, getting lost in Box is part of the deal. Keep heading in and you'll soon start to find your way around. Good effort :thumb

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
It gets a lot easier when you learn which graffiti you can trust! Getting to B12 from cath is dead easy but you definitely need a compass. Once on the B12 stay on it and you'll find the red door and the rather pathetic audio alarm.

If you make it there, remember to send in your Freedom of Information request to get the video of yourselves.