real time web analytics
Report - - Box Freestone Quarry - Corsham - Jan 2014 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Box Freestone Quarry - Corsham - Jan 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Els

Obsessed with BS7671
Regular User
Months back I asked if a few members would be up for a trip to Box Quarry so just after the New Year I met up with FaZY, Kira, Reef, The Devil Child & Steve for a fun packed few hours down said mine. It was a good day and we saw quite a bit spending about five hours down there altogether. It had been raining fairly hard for a few days previously so the mine was soaking wet when we toured so everything got covered in mud but I guess that goes with the territory eh?

Plenty of reports already so here is another one…well my take on it anyway...

A short history

The ready availability of limestone in the Cotswolds had made it a convenient building material since at least Roman times. Corsham sits on the Greater Oolitic Seam which, since it extends in about a 20 mile radius of Bath, has been termed 'Bath Stone'. This stone differs from the Cotswold seams further north by having a lower ironstone content and therefore being lighter in colour. It is also less friable and so suitable for producing the dressed blocks of stone so common in the buildings of towns like Corsham and Bath.

Until the 19th century, the Corsham area had been quarried chiefly for local use. The construction of the Box Hill railway tunnel by the great engineer Brunel, however, brought the means of transporting stone easily further afield at the same time, coincidentally, as uncovering huge new deposits. So much stone was shipped from Corsham now that Bath Stone was sometimes also known as 'Corsham Stone'.

After the First World War, the expense of extracting stone and the development of cheaper building materials almost brought quarrying for Bath Stone to an end. With the renewed interest in conservation and building design sympathetic to its context, high quality limestone is again much in demand and quarries are being worked again, not only in the Corsham area, but also at Limpley Stoke near Bath. It is understood that stone is currently being extracted regularly from up to three different quarries in Corsham.

Moon rise in the cathedral.
IMGP1886copy_zps83d0ed49.jpg

Not sure what this was looks like a sort of pick sharpening area?
IMGP1891copy_zpsa065b363.jpg

Pictures of deads.
IMGP1897copy_zps90739092.jpg

A random part somewhere.
IMGP1901copy_zpse5de7c4c.jpg

A grilled bit.
IMGP1935copy_zps362b4a4d.jpg

The entrance to the long tunnel that leads to the red door.
IMGP1934copy_zps91d32346.jpg

A re-enforced area.
IMGP1929copy_zps88ce69d8.jpg

Another re-enforced bit.
IMGP1933copy_zps97486962.jpg

A bit of vintage graffiti.
IMGP1936copy_zps75b2fde9.jpg

Some nice "brickwork".
IMGP1946copy_zps12caa392.jpg

Old railway tracks.
IMGP1945copy_zps686a7d9a.jpg

Another odd random part.
IMGP1941copy_zps391a3373.jpg

The spooky Scooby Doo stairs to who knows where.
IMGP1942copy_zpsfd244fba.jpg

Yet another random part.
IMGP1943copy_zps06440799.jpg

A nice "tunnelly" bit. Check the crack in the roof.
IMGP1947copy_zps45ec4534.jpg

This part has of the mine has only one entrance and one exit, so I'm told, so a collapse here and it's game over. The rusting iron used to be a hut.
IMGP1949copy_zps2522a449.jpg

The crab winch, here are a couple of close ups...
IMGP1953copy_zps201daedf.jpg

IMGP1954copy_zps5402bf89.jpg

Apparently the rocks above fell on the mined stone below after they had been stacked up there. I expect that ruined someones day.
IMGP1958copy_zpsf958dd44.jpg

Calling it day, we pay a quick visit to this crane...
IMGP1959copy_zps9de912f1.jpg

IMGP1960copy_zps45a3fa84.jpg

Junction.
IMGP1961copy_zpsfff10640.jpg

And home for a bath and tiffin.

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Some really nice photos, the roof collapse on the stacked blocks and pick sharpening spot are really cool.

The Franconian

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Really interesting that rockfall (whenever it happened), also that crack; I like such details.
The drawing left on pic 5 looks like a Paris Kta manhole cover.

FaZy_UK

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Some good shots there mate, was a good trip.

I never noticed that huge crack before.... Looks like it's putting a massive amount of stress on the arch!

Catch you again soon!

REEF

Getthegirlkillthebaddies
28DL Full Member
Great photo's, was a top if not muddy day out. Glad I wasn't wearing trainers.........

I'm up for another visit sometime :)

mw0sec

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Those stone steps (Ginnyrig shaft) lead up to a sealed sort of block house by a road ( Can't remember the name of it). It used to be a convenient short-cut way in for a while!
Great to see those shots - not been there for some years now.

GG

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Really interesting that rockfall (whenever it happened), also that crack; I like such details.
The drawing left on pic 5 looks like a Paris Kta manhole cover.
That was done by someone who has been to Paris once or twice before.

Kirkymole

Banned
Banned
A little tip, don't poke around the top off the ladder on the surface, the MoDplod turn up pretty damn quick! Think they are a bit touchy about the air shaft next to it.

GG

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
A little tip, don't poke around the top off the ladder on the surface, the MoDplod turn up pretty damn quick! Think they are a bit touchy about the air shaft next to it.
Thanks for the tip Kirky. I was planning to go for a poke around all the entrances ;)